Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hit First Hot Rock with the ATX - on Video

bearkat4160

I did the iron check on the hot rock...check out the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KDKON00CMY

My experience here in the northern California gold country is that there are two types of hot rocks that I encounter the most. Pic attached.
The smoother (river rock) light colored ones will sound on a VLF machine at around 4 inches but will be mostly ignored by my TDI SL. I can ground balance them out with my VLF by GB-ing over them, but lose a little depth.
The ones that are rougher and darker colored on the inside (like the one in Bearkat's video) seem to have so much iron in them that they exhibit both magnetic properties (as the light ones) as well as some conductivity. So they act like small iron. A person could discriminate them out on most VLF's, if desired. These will sound on my TDI when set to standard 7-8 ground balance setting. I can make them mostly disappear around a GB setting of 4-5. Which also seems to be where small rusty nails will diminish as well. This seems to prove the conductivity theory. I have never used a GPX but have to believe they would also sound on those hot rocks as well, since all PI's (that I know of) signal rusted iron.
(Please note the the darker hot rock in my pic is obviously broken apart. The outer covering is normally a light brown/rust kind of color that you can see on the top.)

Of course, we all spotted that right away!!! LOL

Nice post - thanks for the information. Keep in mind some of those reactive rocks might be meteorites!

THANKS AGAIN

bearkat4160 said:
I did the iron check on the hot rock...check out the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KDKON00CMY

So if a lil ole nuggie woz unda vat roc wud va ATX av found ut? :crazy: Wud ut huh! wud ut?......Coz if ut wud I mite jus bi a ATX.:ausflag::cheers:

Good point Rick!

Yes I can ground balance it out, but I would suffer depth/sensitiviy loss...So I figured I would just keep hunting while ground balanced to the surrounding soil. I only hit 2 all day in some real nasty ground full of iron basalt.

Bearkat

Fair enough .
That is one of the things I like about the Infinium. The ground mineralisation has to be seriously high before the detector will loose penetrating ability and response to the small nuggs of around 0.4 to 1g.

I have some nice test slabs of maghematite and the finny will hit on a 0.4g sluggy bit through a 1.7kg slab (3.74lb) without ground balancing the slab which produces a weak warbly hi/lo Lo/Hi tone. This bit of iron ore is av 3cm thick.
I have another piece that is 2kg (4.4 lb) and av 4cm thick through which the Infinium will hit on a 1.6g nugg at about 150mm which is about the same as the in air test without headphones.

So you can see why I like my Infinium.

I still love my Infinium too, but the ATX just is a much better all round machine.

Bearkat