Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Horseshoe

I am confused by what I see on the Horseshoe, My understanding was that ferrous targets would show up on the left side and non-ferrous on the right side along with an appropriaate depth estimation....I have noticed that last few times out that I would find targets that hit with a TID of 3, 4, 6 etc. and yet the horseshoe displays them on the right (non-ferrous) side. I dug several and they were square nails and other iron based objects....anybody with an idea of what I am seeing...thanks

What disc were your running. And what tone were you getting?? How did you have your tone breaks set up??? TIDs of 3, 4, 5 etc are supposed to be iron. Most nonferrous will ring in quite a bit higher say extremely small foil say 20 or so depending on your freq selected. The tone is the key. One might want to dig low tid readings if looking for ferrous relics. You'll notice the horseshoe likes to switch sides at those readings as well. And usually only a dimple on the shoe will be showing. Most folks try to set their first tone break at 30. This should get most gold and other low conductors (even pull tabs). When looking for money in trashy areas I set my tone break to 70. About the only thing coin wise you'll miss is nickels. You can notch them in though but you risk digging the pesky tabs. If in real trashy areas (iron) take it sort a slow especially if you've already found some good stuff. Remember the deus is fast but in areas loaded with say square nails the window of detection from above could only be a very small opening. If you go too fast the deus may only squeak on the masked good target. And to add don't always expect to get good 2 way signals either. I have dug some good buttons only giving 2 way signals. Some even wouldn't respond say when going from reactivity 3 to a 2. That is how bad the relics were masked. Also something else I've noticed is when running deus in GB tracking when the iron gets really bad the deus will track out and go to GB 90. I've actually made my best finds with GB tracking auto. I've tried to run my deus 2-3 numbers lower than the actual GB while in manual but it makes my deus real noisy.

The horseshoe (along with iron volume) is tied in with the first tone......the disc tone. The first tone break = the disc point. Wherever you set the disc point at determines what side of the horseshoe the target will show up on. If the target is being disced out it will show up on the left side. If the target is being accepted it will show up on the right side. If you were getting a low TID number but the target was showing up on the right side, you either had the disc set at "0" or you were falsing on iron.

Thanks squirrel and mrwil, I had no idea that the horseshoe was tied to tone 1. After just two weeks I am still "peeling" this onion......I was under the impression that the horseshoe was independently reporting ferros/nonferros regardless of which tone breaks you have.....seems odd to me that your fe/nonfe indicator would follow something as aribitrary as a tone setting, but it is what it is, now that I know it, I can work around it....

I am running with 0 disc. trying to get max depth so now I see how nothing seems to be FE even when you pull it out of the ground and have it in your hand.....

Thanks Again

A disc of 5 is just fine. Maybe even 3. I don't run 0 disc unless I'm maybe in an old farm field where targets (nonferrous, ferrous are sparse). The less tonal noise the better for me to a degree. The horseshoe is not following the tone setting, but rather the disc setting. Try this experiement at home. Get say a real fine small allen wrench or a very fine iron pin. Turn your deus to basic 1 program. Sweep the small piece of metal. Watch the horseshoe. Next open up your screen and start running down your disc and sweep. Watch the horseshoe. If your target is real small I think you'll find once you approach disc setting of 2.1 the right side of the horsehoe will start giving a reading. Bottom line, the horseshoe at disc setting of 0 will not indicate ferrous/nonferrous of any sort as all targets bad and good will appear on the right side of shoe. The horseshoe at disc 0 will still maybe give an indication of size and or depth though. I think you'll also find deus depth is not affected very much until you start approaching say 8-10 on the disc setting and then it's not much. It really depnds on what you're looking for. The factory programs are not bad at all on the deus. Some real thought went into making them. Once you get to 6.8 on the disc this will knock out most iron. Go to 5 even smaller iron, go to 3 or even 2.2 and that gets rid of even the slivers of iron. You don't need to run an exceptional low disc to find the goods in places loaded with square nails. Three to 5 will do. And the same goes for your tone breaks. Not too low but not to high. For copper and silver a high tone break of 70 works pretty good. Now nickels are a little harder. You can notch them in say between 49-54 and try that. You will still catch some tabs unfortunately. The deus is probably the easiest detector to use/setup/navigate for what it can do.

I believe notch also affects the reading. If you notch out 0-30 for example, iron audio and the horseshoe are affected.
To counter this (to continue the example), if you have a disc setting of 5, you can notch 6-30 and restore iron audio and the horseshoe display on the left side.

ronsimo said:
Doesn't the notch for nickles (49-54) and copper at 70 depend on the frequency you're running at?

Yep....if you change frequencies the TID numbers change so do the notches to grab your desired targets.....unless of course you are running normalized then the TID numbers etc. should stay the same....