Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hot rocks

rtola

First time out with new simplex. Got a good signal rang up a "79". Dug the plug, pulled a large rock from the hole. Checked the hole no signal. Ran the detector over the rock got my signal. Next came across a large rock sticking out of the ground got signals I swung over top of it. Can you adjust the machine to eliminate this problem?

First time out with new simplex. Got a good signal rang up a "79". Dug the plug, pulled a large rock from the hole. Checked the hole no signal. Ran the detector over the rock got my signal. Next came across a large rock sticking out of the ground got signals I swung over top of it. Can you adjust the machine to eliminate this problem?
I don't have a Simplex yet, but hot rocks can present interesting problems. Monte has written extensively in the past about dealing with hot rocks and certain bricks that are problematic. I know he has a Simplex or two. I hope he chimes in. Hot rocks frequently have an iron or aluminum compound of some sort such as granite. Sometimes putting the hot rock on the ground and ground balancing to it (if possible) will let you hunt the rest of an area that is infested with similar rocks.
Good luck and I hope that Monte chimes in.

Just to be clear, re you getting a solid beep when passing directly over the specific rock, or are you getting a delayed beep just after passing across the rock?

Did you first Ground Balance at the site before you started hunting?

And, is the native ground (dirt and most common native ground make-up) very mineralized at the site you were hunting?

Which search mode were you using, and did you have any of the lower-end Disc. segments rejected?

These are things I'd like to know to better understand what is causing your results and what could be done t counter the issue. However, more often than not, I have found that folks have these problems with a detector using a preset GB that isn't sufficient for the mineralization; or they have failed to adjust the GB to the problem ground; or they have the Discrimination set wide-open and due to that they suffer from some ground irregularities.

My first suggestion is to use one of the rocks, either recovered from the ground or in-ground but protruding, and adjust the Simplex + GB to just cancel out that mineral body. Quite often that is what is required to deal with such out-of-context mineral bodies at some sites. Through the years I have encountered many sites where such bad-ground specimens need to be dealt with using GB in order to hunt the site well. It's more apparent when using a wide-open Disc. acceptance set-up.

Monte

Hi Monte, I auto ground balanced in park 2 mode to start, periodically reground balancing during the hunt. Signal would respond swinging over the rock. Ground rang up 69-72 on ground balance. Tried field, park 1,and 2 mode, autoground balancing in each. Hunted with a friend who uses a F75 ,he said he didn't experience a problem.

Hi Monte, I auto ground balanced in park 2 mode to start, periodically reground balancing during the hunt. Signal would respond swinging over the rock. Ground rang up 69-72 on ground balance. Tried field, park 1,and 2 mode, autoground balancing in each. Hunted with a friend who uses a F75 ,he said he didn't experience a problem.
Good info, and what Disc. rejection did you use in Filed, Park 1 and Park 2? generally, the only time I get a signal from what looks to be a "rock" is when it is a 'clinker' or two places I hunted that had a good amount of copper ore in some of the rocks.

Monte

Good info, and what Disc. rejection did you use in Filed, Park 1 and Park 2? generally, the only time I get a signal from what looks to be a "rock" is when it is a 'clinker' or two places I hunted that had a good amount of copper ore in some of the rocks.

Monte

Did not set any discrimination or rejection. Just put it in the mode and listened to tones.

Did not set any discrimination or rejection. Just put it in the mode and listened to tones.
If adjusting the GB to the problem rocks doesn't help, I suggest rejecting only the first Disc. segment. That often cures similar ground mineral challenges.

Monte