Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How about some Disc info for Coin Shooters?

plugger

I see a lot of "All-Metal" hunting for Relics going on, but there are as many people in Calif who hunt parks for coins as there are relic hunters in all of the mid-west. I'm not trying to start a war, but, not everyone is, or should be a relic hunter. I hunt at the beach with my Sovereign and I want the X-Terra for Coin Shooting in the parks when the beach sucks (as it does right now). I won't be looking for gold nuggets or Civil War bullets, but, I'm people too!:cheers:

Bill

You & I share the same sort of hunting preferences, so we're the same kind of people! No war starting here.

First of all, here is a link to my post on this forum detailing my experiences with the X-Terra 50 at a local park & Santa Monica Beach:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,228371,228371#msg-228371

It is the first post on this forum, a combo piece with Joe of South Jersey, and should answer many of your questions.

In a nutshell, I found the X-Terra to be just fine for the parks here in S. CA and easier/more fun to use than either my old Sovereign or my Explorer XS II. Once I got "re-used" to a concentric coil I was very comfortable and found coins just fine. As you stated, relic hunting may be king in the south but here in LA it's coin shooting/jewelry hunting. I did experiment with the all metal mode and would agree with the other field testers that it works great since it allows the user to ID targets with audio & the display. But for me, with all of the trash targets in the parks I hunt, all metal just isn't a logical way to go. I used discrimination pattern 1 and was very satisfied with it.

So I would whole heartedly recommend the X-Terra 50 for coin shooting parks.

BTW, I know where you're coming from about the beaches. It's tough not to go even when they suck (like now out here as well); sometimes you just want to scoop some sand. If you do get an X-Terra, you may want to give it a go at the beach when things get better. I did (refer to my field test) and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, post 'em & I'll do my best to answer them.

Bill (S. CA)

For the little I have used mine I like to run in the all metal mode so I can hear if the signals is a piece of iron that could be falsing. If it seem a lot of iron I will run my disc pattern 1 and if there is a lot of pull tabs i will go to my disc pattern 2.
One thing I will say it is sure different than the Sovereign as you have to go slow with the Sovereign and listen to all the different tones. The X-TERRA 50 is a silent search detector and I can go faster and only have to hear the 4 tones in all metal and those that sound good I check on the display, those that don't i don't even look at the display like the Sovereign.

Rick