Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many using the IM28R 11" coil with the Impact

Joseph in Alabama

Hey Guys
Got one recently and am impressed with the depth of it over the 7x11 stock coil in my dirt...anyone else using one thats been impressed with it on the Impact...hh. joe

The IM28R 11" DD is on my radar because I'm selling off several detectors to buy a new Impact. For it I'll use a 7" Concentric as a general-purpose coil, but also have a 5" DD for the trashiest sites, and the round 11" DD for working the wide-open areas with sparse trash. I really enjoyed the 11" DD on the Anfibio and when I shared it on the Kruzer, but the 11" DD of the Simplex + really sold me on that big round coil in an old grassy park where I live. I haven't used it on the Impact, but I have on the others, and I enjoyed the Impact a lot. So I'll be ordering a new one soon. Have to get ready for some spring weather and wide-open spaces. I don't care for anybody's 7X11 type coil, but the round 11" is terrific. :thumbup: Best of success with yours.

Monte

Hello Monte
Know You'll like the IM28R on the Impact
More coverage and deeper.. The Impact with the 11" round will impress and make the detector feel more balanced to me anyway..I need to get the 7" concentric for my Impact...
Give it a try at my old house sites..
Best to you Monte .... joe

The IM28R 11" DD is on my radar because I'm selling off several detectors to buy a new Impact. For it I'll use a 7" Concentric as a general-purpose coil, but also have a 5" DD for the trashiest sites, and the round 11" DD for working the wide-open areas with sparse trash. I really enjoyed the 11" DD on the Anfibio and when I shared it on the Kruzer, but the 11" DD of the Simplex + really sold me on that big round coil in an old grassy park where I live. I haven't used it on the Impact, but I have on the others, and I enjoyed the Impact a lot. So I'll be ordering a new one soon. Have to get ready for some spring weather and wide-open spaces. I don't care for anybody's 7X11 type coil, but the round 11" is terrific. :thumbup: Best of success with yours.

Monte
Do you dig crown caps with the 5 inch Monte. I have the 5 inch coil but have not had time to get out with it yet.

Joseph in Alabama:
Hello Monte
Know You'll like the IM28R on the Impact
More coverage and deeper.. The Impact with the 11" round will impress and make the detector feel more balanced to me anyway..I need to get the 7" concentric for my Impact...
Give it a try at my old house sites..
Best to you Monte .... joe

The Anfibio w/round 11" sold me on that coil for working wide-open parks or at times some plowed field or pastureland, which can come in handy at times in the region where I live now. The Simplex+ w/stock 11" DD is working for m now, and this model is very impressive, but the Impact offers some adjustment functions I like so that will be the larger-size coil I'll have. The 11" for the very open places with minimal trash, and the 5" DD for very trashy places with minimal open areas. The 7" Concentric coil will be the day-to-day regular-use coil for me and the places I hunt. especially old sites with a lot of rusty tin shards, and the urban-use places with a lot of Bottle Caps and other modern trash.

I'm up to 6 or 7 detectors I need to thin from my current arsenal and then I'll order the Impact and coils that I need for it. Hopefully I'll be all outfitted by the time we get out of the winter-season weather ... and we're staring to feel that chance right now.

Monte

professor-tones:
Do you dig crown caps with the 5 inch Monte. I have the 5 inch coil but have not had time to get out with it yet.

Crown Caps, more often referred to as Bottle Caps, are seldom a nuisance for me. back in the early days of Coin Hunting, when coins were so plentiful and discarded trash was less than we encounter today, Bottle Caps were perhaps the most frequently encountered annoying ferrous trash target for me. When I lived we had a lot of frequently-used parks, and most of them had a covered picnic bowery or two, and ball fields with bleachers, not to mention tall trees with ample shade for summer-time picnics and such. For me, this started in the latter '60s and early '70s when I was using BFO's and TR's and before I had Discrimination, but it was easy to learn to audibly classify those pesky Bottle Caps.

As detector circuitry and frequencies changed, Discrimination was added, and we moved from analog to digital circuitry, we note that Bottle Caps became a bigger frustration for many Hobbyists because the more modern detectors didn't / don't reject them as cleanly as the early TR-Disc. models. But I didn't use variable Discrimination to reject them as long and the detector let me just audibly classify them as problem ferrous trash like I did in those much earlier days. And generally I can, so NO, I don't dig Bottle Caps very often at all.

Most of the time, Bottle Caps are more recent discards and can be found shallower, such as surface to 3" or perhaps to 4", and since most are closer to the search coil it is rather easy to simply use search coil sweep techniques to help 'classify' them as a ferrous-based target and simply ignore them. About forty-eight or forty-nine years ago I coined the term 'Edge-Pass Rejection', or 'EPR', to describe this method I used with my conventional TR's to audibly help ignore recovering them. Just yesterday I spent just short of 2 hours hunting our local city park around the covered picnic area and was only fooled once by a Bottle Cap. I was using my Simplex+ w/11" DD coil and just going after coins since we had a nice break in the weather. One Bottle Cap in about 1 Hr. 45+ Minutes isn't bad, and that crushed or folded Bottle Caps was too close to a non-ferrous targets for me to audibly classify for sure, so it got dug,

Now to search coils and Bottle Caps. I can use either Concentric or Double-D, and generally the smaller the coil the easier it is to take on that problem trash. On my CoRe and Relic I have their 'OOR' and 5" DD coils mounted because they didn't make a Concentric coliform them.. Most urban Coin Hunting places where I most often encounter Bottle Caps I'll be using a smaller ±5" coil, or preferring a good Concentric coil such as the Nokta / Makro 7". Due to the uniform EMF all around a Concentric coil it makes them much easier to handle with a coil sweep from any direction. But the 5" DD still does well because it is a smaller DD with a 'tighter' field to deal with.

EPR? Simple, and in recent years others have 'discovered' this technique and have used other descriptions using the 'toe or heel' of the coil. A lot of the results you get will depend on the make and models detector you're using and the audio response you hear. I generally search with very little Discrimination, usually set low enough to just barely accept iron nails, or if too annoyed I might just barely reject iron nails. Also I like to hunt in a 2-Tone or 3-Tone audio with the low-tone Iron Audio response. When you get a target that gives higher numeric VDI read-out, often similar to a US 10♂5 or 25¢ coin but still a little jumpy for a shallower target with a direct sweep with the coil's center-axis, just continue to make a shorter-length sweep across the target as you work the coil back towards you. The 'Edge-Pass' location can vary based on the search coil size and type, but if you sweep across the pinpointed sport about 1" in toward the center of the coil from the front edge and no longer get a good higher-tone response but, instead, hear the audio tone drop off to the Iron Audio low-tone that's the hint it is likely a Bottle Cap or other ferrus-based target.

Sometimes with a Double-D coil the 'EPR' spot might be at the front edge of the coil or outward to about 1", but you can easily learn this with different search coil types and sizes as well as the particular make / model detectors used. Use a coin and a Bottle Cap and place them on the floor or ground, then use your detector/coil of choice for typical Bottle Cap sites. Center-sweep both target specimens, then on each one continues a slow side-to-side sweep and draw the coil back towards you. Note the spot with reference to the search coils front tip or edge where the coin still responds positively then loses detection. Compare that with where the Bottle Cap starts to drop off or break up more and then shifts to the s good low-tone Iron Audio.

Even using a silent-search Discriminate mode and with a lower-end Disc. setting that is at or above iron range detection, and even only a single-tine detector, you can still quickly learn to audibly classify most Bottle Caps. And that 5" DD coil is what I use most often in heavily littered sites, with Bottle Caps and with much more ferrous junk than behaves like Bottle Caps, and I can ignore most of it based on the 'EPR' techniques.

Monte

professor-tones:

Crown Caps, more often referred to as Bottle Caps, are seldom a nuisance for me. back in the early days of Coin Hunting, when coins were so plentiful and discarded trash was less than we encounter today, Bottle Caps were perhaps the most frequently encountered annoying ferrous trash target for me. When I lived we had a lot of frequently-used parks, and most of them had a covered picnic bowery or two, and ball fields with bleachers, not to mention tall trees with ample shade for summer-time picnics and such. For me, this started in the latter '60s and early '70s when I was using BFO's and TR's and before I had Discrimination, but it was easy to learn to audibly classify those pesky Bottle Caps.

As detector circuitry and frequencies changed, Discrimination was added, and we moved from analog to digital circuitry, we note that Bottle Caps became a bigger frustration for many Hobbyists because the more modern detectors didn't / don't reject them as cleanly as the early TR-Disc. models. But I didn't use variable Discrimination to reject them as long and the detector let me just audibly classify them as problem ferrous trash like I did in those much earlier days. And generally I can, so NO, I don't dig Bottle Caps very often at all.

Most of the time, Bottle Caps are more recent discards and can be found shallower, such as surface to 3" or perhaps to 4", and since most are closer to the search coil it is rather easy to simply use search coil sweep techniques to help 'classify' them as a ferrous-based target and simply ignore them. About forty-eight or forty-nine years ago I coined the term 'Edge-Pass Rejection', or 'EPR', to describe this method I used with my conventional TR's to audibly help ignore recovering them. Just yesterday I spent just short of 2 hours hunting our local city park around the covered picnic area and was only fooled once by a Bottle Cap. I was using my Simplex+ w/11" DD coil and just going after coins since we had a nice break in the weather. One Bottle Cap in about 1 Hr. 45+ Minutes isn't bad, and that crushed or folded Bottle Caps was too close to a non-ferrous targets for me to audibly classify for sure, so it got dug,

Now to search coils and Bottle Caps. I can use either Concentric or Double-D, and generally the smaller the coil the easier it is to take on that problem trash. On my CoRe and Relic I have their 'OOR' and 5" DD coils mounted because they didn't make a Concentric coliform them.. Most urban Coin Hunting places where I most often encounter Bottle Caps I'll be using a smaller ±5" coil, or preferring a good Concentric coil such as the Nokta / Makro 7". Due to the uniform EMF all around a Concentric coil it makes them much easier to handle with a coil sweep from any direction. But the 5" DD still does well because it is a smaller DD with a 'tighter' field to deal with.

EPR? Simple, and in recent years others have 'discovered' this technique and have used other descriptions using the 'toe or heel' of the coil. A lot of the results you get will depend on the make and models detector you're using and the audio response you hear. I generally search with very little Discrimination, usually set low enough to just barely accept iron nails, or if too annoyed I might just barely reject iron nails. Also I like to hunt in a 2-Tone or 3-Tone audio with the low-tone Iron Audio response. When you get a target that gives higher numeric VDI read-out, often similar to a US 10♂5 or 25¢ coin but still a little jumpy for a shallower target with a direct sweep with the coil's center-axis, just continue to make a shorter-length sweep across the target as you work the coil back towards you. The 'Edge-Pass' location can vary based on the search coil size and type, but if you sweep across the pinpointed sport about 1" in toward the center of the coil from the front edge and no longer get a good higher-tone response but, instead, hear the audio tone drop off to the Iron Audio low-tone that's the hint it is likely a Bottle Cap or other ferrus-based target.

Sometimes with a Double-D coil the 'EPR' spot might be at the front edge of the coil or outward to about 1", but you can easily learn this with different search coil types and sizes as well as the particular make / model detectors used. Use a coin and a Bottle Cap and place them on the floor or ground, then use your detector/coil of choice for typical Bottle Cap sites. Center-sweep both target specimens, then on each one continues a slow side-to-side sweep and draw the coil back towards you. Note the spot with reference to the search coils front tip or edge where the coin still responds positively then loses detection. Compare that with where the Bottle Cap starts to drop off or break up more and then shifts to the s good low-tone Iron Audio.

Even using a silent-search Discriminate mode and with a lower-end Disc. setting that is at or above iron range detection, and even only a single-tine detector, you can still quickly learn to audibly classify most Bottle Caps. And that 5" DD coil is what I use most often in heavily littered sites, with Bottle Caps and with much more ferrous junk than behaves like Bottle Caps, and I can ignore most of it based on the 'EPR' techniques.

Monte
I always refer to them as "Crown Caps" as many get confused with the other nasty's known as Screw Caps...Also called Bottle tops by some... Bottle Caps , Bottle tops , Crown Caps. All the same junk just different ways of naming them..

I am using the IM28R 11” Round coil and liking it. I have that coil on 1 of my Impacts and a 7” concentric coil on my other impact.

professor-tones:
I always refer to them as "Crown Caps" as many get confused with the other nasty's known as Screw Caps...Also called Bottle tops by some... Bottle Caps , Bottle tops , Crown Caps. All the same junk just different ways of naming them..

Oh, I understand, but forever in my life and the folks I have been around, we call them 'Bottle Cps' and we call the 'Screw Caps' just that. However, I have also used the term 'Crown Caps' in some replies to this topic because the original poster used the term 'Bottle Caps' and I wanted to clarify the actual 'cap' he was referring to. He could have meant 'Screw Cap' so the more colorful description of 'Crown Caps' was used.

Also, these forums are read by many people and not only in this country. I remember back in the latter '80s, before we had the Internet and Forums, I had people ask about a 'Crown Cap' because they were a bit younger than mew, were use to Pull-Tabs and Pry-Tabs and hadn't popped a cap of a bottled beverage, and they thought 'Crown Caps' referred to those used in the UK, thinking a Crown and the royalty over there.

So my reply wasn't meant to be argumentative, just to clarify some common terms for readers who just are not savvy enough.

Monte

GroundScanner:
I am using the IM28R 11” Round coil and liking it. I have that coil on 1 of my Impacts and a 7” concentric coil on my other impact.

A great combination but don't tempt me! Right now I have duplicates of 5 different models along with my single detector models and I'm tying to thin down some of them. I'll just be pleased to get a new Impact with one of the spare lower rods, then a 5" DD, 7" Con. and 11" round DD ... and I'll be good-to-go ... w/7" generally mounted or mos tasks.

Monte

Well, any updates on the IM28R testing? I was also looking into the CORS Strike 12 x 13 DD coil for the Impact... sensitivity and depth feedback?

Thanks, TC-NM