Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to Avoid Steel Crown Caps and most Aluminum

PhDtector

Some of you may already know the two tips but if you don't they are certainly worth a try.

For aluminum, watch the You Tube video:

For steel crown caps: watch the mineralization bar. If you suspect a target may be a steel crown cap, look to see if there any bars showing. That means a steel cap.

I have experimented with both of these methods and they work about 85-90% of the time. Saves a lot of time.

On my last outing with the XP Orx I was getting readings from 60 to 83 on small can slaw. I can't remember my other detector brands with VDIs numbers that high on aluminum but have heard XPs machines are sensitive on aluminum. Right now using 14-15 khz on the HF 9 inch coil. Would I benefit that much by going to the X35 coil and lower frequency.....if so what is available on the Orx with the X35 coil? Using this mainly as a coin machine. Typically on other machines best to run 12-14kz for silver.

On my last outing with the XP Orx I was getting readings from 60 to 83 on small can slaw. I can't remember my other detector brands with VDIs numbers that high on aluminum but have heard XPs machines are sensitive on aluminum. Right now using 14-15 khz on the HF 9 inch coil. Would I benefit that much by going to the X35 coil and lower frequency.....if so what is available on the Orx with the X35 coil? Using this mainly as a coin machine. Typically on other machines best to run 12-14kz for silver.
The 9 inch HF coil is the only one I have used with the two methods over about two hours so don't know how the X35 coils would work.

Great video and looking forward to the use of this method. I believe this will be a BIG advantage for me

Some good points there. Unfortunately there's an OX Knob on the video cover showing trash. You got to know what your digging. Best target of the day is in with the trash. LOL

The ORX has ID Normalization automatically On so it is going to give numbers for 18 kHz no matter what coil you use or what frequency you use. They will be a little different from what Dave D. was getting since the Deus cannot normalize IDs using the HF coils. I hunt in really mineralized dirt and a 4" pull tab will read in the 90s no matter what frequency I use on an ORX or a Deus..........same thing happens with any single frequency detector here. Small, coin sized or smaller, aluminum foil/can slaw can read anywhere from the high 30s to the mid 80s depending on depth, size, thickness and orientation in normal dirt.

I am really glad XP did a video on aluminum trash strategies. I personally have been asking for one for quite awhile since I think hunting in thick aluminum trash is one of the few weaknesses of the XP Deus/ORX. It is also a big blessing too for a gold prospector like me. The ORX and HF coils being super sensitive on aluminum makes it an outstanding gold prospecting detector whether its jewelry or natural gold. Same for low to mid conductor relics.
Jeff

Last edited:
I can remember Tesoro having an expanded discrimination range. ED 180....helping to pick out the goods among the trash. Because the ORX being super sensitive on Aluminum also makes it a little less effective for coin shooters. I was thinking about moving to the 559$ Deus remote but may wait because they are probably due for a refresh or may eventually try another machine. I finally modified the arm cuff "stand bottom" so the Orx doesn't tip over.....the XP company should have listened to their customers since the Orx is new and reformed the cuff on that release.

For steel crown caps: watch the mineralization bar. If you suspect a target may be a steel crown cap, look to see if there any bars showing. That means a steel cap.

I like to look for coins/jewelry with my Deus set up a little hotter to get to the deeper targets. Do I have to run it in the hot program only to get these effects.

You can use any program that is made from the Deus Fast program for sure. For hearing the residual aluminum sounds as you move the coil away from the target, you need to be using full tones to get the best results. That makes the pull back sound check for aluminum and bottle caps a little harder to do with the 3 toned ORX in Coin Fast.