Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to clean clad coins

A

Anonymous

I just bought me and my son metal detectors for Christmas (I got an Explorer XS and he got a Musketeer Advantage - both Minelab products. I am VERY pleased with the Explorer and so-so with the Musketeer - but it's still to early to tell as I have not yet gotten use to all of the features. Any rate, we went hunting today at the site of an old ballfield and in a couple of hours we found 40 or so coins - all modern coins. Question: How can you clean clad coins and what does one do with the post-1985 pennies that are already corroded to the point of unrecognizability???? The solid copper pennies I placed in an electrolysis bath for 20 minutes and they cleaned well. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I found no nickels. What's up with that????

I can tell you what not to use to clean clad pennies! Ever see the ad for Kaboom cleaner on TV? They dip a penny in it and it turns shiney? Baloney! Leave a penny in it for about an hour and it turns unrecognizable black, ditto clad "silver" coins except when you scrub the black off they are the color of the pennies! I have a vibrating cartridge case cleaner and I throw them into some walnut shell media and run it for about 4 hours and they come fairly clean or at least so you can recognize what they are. JIM

I find that cleaning my clad i use a rock tumbler with some aquarium gravel, water and some real lemon juice I get at Sams Club. I seperate the pennies from the other coins and tumble the pennies for a hour and they look like new, the only ones that have a problem is the ones after 1983 that are already eaten up. I still tumble them and throw away the ones that are bd, The quaters dimes and nickles i tumble for a good 2 hours and check them, take out the good ones as some take longer to clean, so they have to go back in and put new water and lemon juice in a tumble for about another hour and then shut off and let them soak overnite and tumble for another hour and take them out and wash them off.
Nickles are harder to find with the Explorer as many will read almost the same as some pulltabs do, so you will be fooled with them more. If you are runing the factory preset you are hearing any that are there, but you may think they are pulltabs.
Rick