Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to determine the age of a 1280X?

A

Anonymous

I am thinking of buying a 1280X for water hunting and I see several used units for sale in the classified forum and on other sites. How do you determine the age of a particular unit with or without a serial number? Is an older unit as deep and sensitive as a newer one provided it has been well maintained? Thanks! Russ

Newer units have some cosmetic changes but as far as I know the guts remain the same and this unit has been one of the best freshwater units around for many years. Might try asking Fisher via E-mail and they can tell you approx. date of production and update info but then again one have could be sold as old stock and therefore not have the useage. Although heard of very few of these units leaking with proper useage always the chance of getting one that leaked and of course years of useage could weaken components.Remember many detectors are bought and spend a lot of closet time before being sold so you can get a beat one or for that matter one in nice condition. Just bought a used detector Circa 1995 and its in super shape so you really never know.In addendum if the buying price was right am sure Fisher can tune it up for a moderate price. Fishers are built to last and this baby is like a tank, many CZ6's and 1266 units still being used that are at least 10 years old...My advice call the seller and ask a lot of questions.

Just a quick comment!....the battery compartment is sealed on the 1280X and the CZ-20...the battery compartment door has two thumb screws to tighten it against a rubber gasket....if your going to be storing your detector...do not tighten these screws but leave them loose..in order to let the rubber gasket expand and stay pliable...better yet..remove them and store separately.
Both are excellent detectors and the most rugged dependable detectors I know of.

Good thoughts as it does take the pressure off while storing or not in use. Been a while since I used a water machine and they do have a lubricant to apply to the rubber to keep rubber pliable and unit waterproof. Do not use vaseline as it not good for the rubber seal...