Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how to noise cancel in farm fields, and pin pointing targets.

yogaguy

Hi all. I appreciate all the helpful info. I have received from everyone on the quattro from this forum. I was wondering how I could find a way to noise cancel when I'm in farm fields up in Wisconsin. When I go out to the field and put the quattro in all-metal mode to find a small piece of ground to noise cancel, I can't seem to find an area on the ground to do this? It seems when I search the ground I continuously get readings of -10, -9, -6 readings when I try to noise cancel. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how I could noise cancel when this happens? I have also been wondering about pin-pointing techniques. I have heard that the quattro pin-points "coin-sized" items when trying to pin-point a target. I have read that one way to determine if a target is a coin, is to turn on the pin-point feature, scan the target area, and if the bars fill "VERY FAST" and then lower quickly as you go over the target, then this is most likely a coin. And if the bars stay filled "longer" then the target is most likely larger then a coin. I was wondering if anyone could let me know if this is correct? And again, thank's for all the help from everyone! Sincerely, Randy

Hi Randy,
The pinpointing sounds about right. When you find a target, move the coil away from the target before pushing the pinpoint button and wait a couple of seconds before bringing the coil back over the target.
My dealer told me that the noise cancel is more for radio (or other detector) frequency interference in the area rather than for ground balancing as the Quattro like the Sov & Explorer have auto ground balancing. If you can't find a clean ground then finding the "cleanest" trashy ground is the next best choice. Take care that you do not move the coil during noise cancel.

Hi Doug. Thank's for the help with noise cancelling. I appreciate that. I was wondering what kind of depth you are getting with the 5 inch coil, and how the depth may change in certain types of soil for you. Thank's again. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Yogaguy,

Since I am still learning this detector, my objective is stability and not depth so cannot give you an absolute answer on the maximum in ground depth of the X5. With Sens of 9 (out of 20), was digging coins at depths of mostly 3-4 inches. As I learn the tones, I will raise the sensitivity back up. Let me try a test for you this weekend...will bury a nickel at six & eight inches and see if the X5 can still find them. This depth test will however only be true for my area.

I am sure you've heard that depth isn't everything. My sites range from moderate to really trashy sites. My best finds have been found not with the standard coil but the small coils as you can get inbetween the trash and smoke out the old coins & buttons.

Hi Doug. I would be interested in knowing how it goes this weekend with the depth testing. Thank's for the info. on the smaller coil too. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Yogaguy,

Set the Quattro with the ff conditions:
My ground is mineralized. This specific site is moderately trashy being a site that has seen use from 300 yrs ago up to the present time. It was also previously much closer to the bay.

Located a fairly clean ground, sens at 18, threshold at slight hum, low trash setting & Sunray X5 coil. Was in all metal ferrous mode and using rechargeable battery pack.

Nickel was lain flat & buried in five inches of soil that was compacted down with a stomp of my foot. The Nickel air tests at lcd#17-18.

Found the Sensitivity of 18 to be too high as the Q tended to register 40 & high tones (I'd say falsing) on every swing. Lowered the sens down to 15 (yup remembered to noise cancel this time). The X5 hit the nickel but the lcd#s were jumping from -10, 15,18,23,34,40... Turned the sens down further to 12 and the Q falsed less and appeared more stable. In my experience, targets that are NOT freshly buried do not jump around so much.

Dug up the nickel & reburied it but this time at six inches and I'd say it was kind of iffy and not repeatable (I'd probably not dig) so five inches seem to be max in my ground & with my setup.

Reburied the nickel at four inches and this time set the Q Sens to Auto mode. Noise cancelled and swept over the target again...manual of 12 was better. In auto, it could not hear the target on every sweep.

Yogaguy, aside from these tests, I'd say that most of my real finds made today were mostly 1-3 inches deep with just a few four inch deep targets. (Can't believe I missed so many shallow coins with my other detectors!) So despite these tests, I'd say my gauge of the X5's capability combined with my current level of expertise with the Quattro & X5 coil is only about four inches deep.

To put these depth numbers in perspective, my Tesoro uMax usually finds targets no deeper than 3-4 inches with the standard 8 inch coil. And my Sov with the 8 inch coil have found silver dimes at 5 inches and cufflinks at 8 inches.

IMO, if your sites aren't really trashy, I would suggest you purchase the Minelab 8" coil instead of the X5. Its also much cheaper :) It was fun doing this test for you and I learned a lot myself.

Hope this helps,
Doug

Hi Doug. Thank's for the testing and posting of the x-5 coil. I would like to try manual sensitivity but have been sticking with the automatic setting for now. I got Andy Sabisch's book and he recommended staying with it, at least until your very familar with how it works for different ground types. Where abouts do you live? I'm in the states. I'm not sure how I would tell what soil types I have. All I know is that I hit clay at about 8-9 inches :) I mostly hunt in Wisconsin. Have you thought about trying some of the larger coils for the Quattro such as the platypus? I know Andy did a field test on it and he found it to be pretty good. But I'm not sure about the area that your hunting in now, and I know you mentioned that your working with smaller coils for now. Thank's again for the results of the coil testing. I appreciate the ingo. Sincerely, Randy