Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How's your batteries doin'...baby!!!!!

beachguy777

Hello everybody out there in Treasure Hunter Land. You know that part of this is my daily therapy session, where I get to talk to fun guys about fun metal detector stuff, but I just got to thinkin' yesterday whether all the "new guys" out there at least knew about the NMH batteries or Nicad, besides just the alkaline.
I would imagine that they probably do, and I know all you "heavy duty, blue beast, real men, beach stompin dudes" do, but I just wanted to say that I re-read about the alkaline vs NMH forum a while back, and I agree that I don't seem to see a difference in performance. I've used them both and I'm now using Lenmar, 2000 mAh, nickel metal hydride batteries and they seem to be fine. I'm certainly open for feed back here, as always, but I just wanted to mention that, and also that I was able to buy a 10 pack at a place here in San Diego, CA, called Fry's. Hope it's ok to mention a store name. The reason I said that is that I picked em up for about 20 bucks. I thought that was a fair deal, and I'm just hanging on to the extra 2 batteries in case one goes bad. I bought the Lenmar Nicad/NMH combo charger from Kellyco with one set of Nmh and then bought the other set from Fry's. Works great because I just keep one set in the Quatro and one for a spare.
Any way, just to wrap this up, I just now realized that I've never used Nicads in my Quatro. Hmm... wonder how well they work.??? Any feedback would be great. Have a good hunt out there and see you next time.:geek:

I use Nickel hydrides in most all my detectors, the ones I find that dont work good in is the ones that take the 9 volt batteries like some of the Tesoros. Minelab has a battery charger that is now what they use for the Explorer XS II that will charge 8 batteries at a time, but you have to take them out of the pack to use in the charger.This will also work with the Quattro too and they retail for $25. Now I see Sams Club sell the Energizer 2500 Mha batteries for $18 for 8 of them, so they will last a little longer.
SunRay also used to make and hope they do again a charger where you can charge them right in the Quattro or Explorer battery pack, then go to a pulse trickle charge when they are at a full charge, saves them from being over charged.

Rick

That sounds pretty good Rick. My NMH batteries are only 2000mAh which I think means milli amp hours, but you'rs are the 2500. A little more poop or at least lasting power I imagine. Sounds like a good deal at the Sam's Club. Yea, it would be nice to just pull the holder out and plug it in instead of pulling all the batteries out of the holder, but, oh well, at least individually they're reasonably cheap just to buy a couple sets of them. That's interesting that the 9V NMH don't seem to work that hot, I guess. Well, I'll just have to stick to Minelab, if I only could afford another one. Probably someday down the road. Maybe an Explorer or an Excallibur. Marc