Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting in England, wamt program & settings?

rarysgaard

I'm going to England in October and want to know what program & settings to use to find hammered silvers & silver & gold staters? I will be out in plowed fields.

Hi Rob, are you a member of any UK forums? You might want to check there as I am sure they have plenty of info how they set up their machines for plowed fields. I don't think there are too many UK Deus users who currently frequent here.

A place to start might be the following forum: http://rogers-relics-uk.com/

Sorry I don't have any input for you as I don't have experience with the Deus in the UK. I am sure any of the preset programs should work fine seeing as the presets were designed over there to begin with.

Good luck! -Marc

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/

I personally stick with 'Basic 1' for just about all my detecting in France,England is no different,quite a few of the lads on the above forum tweak their machines for various reasons,you'll get plenty of advice on there and it's completely free!

Hi there. How many hours have you used the Deus so far? Don't make the mistake of using a machine you are not experienced with for your trip to UK. I did that 3 years ago and it was a mistake. I made some decent finds (it's hard not to make good finds when you are on a trip to Colchester) but I believe that I would have made more finds had I set up my (then brand new) E-Trac differently.
That being said, I too am going back to the UK on a detecting trip this October and I'm bringing my Deus plus the E-Trac for back-up. At this point in time I have hundreds of hours invested in each of these machines.

IMHO - the Deus stock programs are NOT good for most detecting. The #1 reason is that I believe that the "stock" level of discrimination in every program is set too high - from a low of 6.8 to a 10, depending. As an FYI, I have a custom program that I use always and it delivers. This past week I got my second (within a 1 year time frame) 1666 Spanish cob in a freshly plowed and rolled field. The first one I got with my E-Trac and now the second with my Deus. I always questioned if I would have found the first one if I was using the Deus and now I know the answer is yes. Both were in the 6" range and both in a freshly plowed field. I know that if I can get a thin dime sized coin like a cob here in the USA, I won't miss hammered or staters over there...I went back to the field a second time on Saturday and was able to get an 1840 seated dime - as well as a few large coppers - so my program does not miss much...

I got the settings off one of the UK sites over a year and a half ago and have invested hundreds of hours in it and my results are very good. I saved it in program 9, Basic 2 and named it 2 Tone. It's a mock 2 tone actually using 3 tones. It mirrors how I like to run my E-Trac which I use in 2 tone Ferrous. High tone dig, low tone don't dig or iron. In the UK you MUST dig everything that is not iron. And over there - low conductors are the good stuff...here - usually not. So you got to get your head turned around. Over there - don't get excited with an 82-93...get excited with a 32-73.

Here is the set-up (which is highly sensitive to tiny non-ferrous and also goes deep) that I use HERE in the USA on plowed fields. After showing you this, I'm going to show you the changes I'm making for the UK trip:

Disc = 1.0
Expert = 3 Tones
Expert = Tone 1 = 202Hz, Tone 2 = 204Hz, Tone 3 = 782Hz (keep hitting arrow right button as you toggle).
After setting the tone for Tone 3 hit the arrow right to toggle to the different break points for each Tone.
Tone 1 is always set at your Disc level so that is at 0-1, next is Tone 2/Tone 3 = 40. Then hit arrow left to get out and arrow left again.
Everything 40 and over is a high tone so you dig, and everything under 40 is a low tone - which I don't dig.
Sens = 93 (but set to your ground and chatter tolerance)
TX Power = 2
Freq = 12kHz
Iron Vol = 2
Reactivity = 1 for clean conditions - use higher if you have LOTS of iron
Expert Silencer = 1
Audio Resp = 3
Expert Audio Overload = 1
Ground Man = 85 (the screen shows 78 - 84 in my area)

I am tweaking this for the UK to flip around the tones. I'm going into 4 tones and setting it up as follows:
Tone 1 = 202Hz, Tone 2 = 204Hz, Tone 3 = 782Hz and Tone 4 = 644Hz.
Break point Tone 1 = 0-1, Tone 2/Tone3 = 30, Tone 3/Tone 4 = 80.

This will make the highest tones for the middle area, targets from 30 to 79 - the potential for the great stuff and uses medium tones for the higher conductors that could be large coppers (greenies) which are deep, sound great and worth nothing...or more modern milled silver...

I reserve the right to revert back to the 3 tone set-up if I don't like the way it sounds off...or adjust the break points after running targets over the coil...

Thank you so much for your settings. I will give them a try. I have probably close to 100 hrs in with Deus. I traded my E-Trac for the Deus so I won't have the luxury of using that, I am bringing a Tesoro as a back in case of detector failure. I have found gold with it and I am starting to get the hang of it. I dig lots of targets so I am getting to know what the machine is telling me.