Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

hunting public lands laws

A

Anonymous

I am heading to New Mexico and just tried unsuccessfully to learn about the m.d. laws and regulations on public lands from BLM and National Forest websites. They don't discussing metal detector use at all on the websites. I am hoping someone knowledgeable here can provide assistance on what is and what isn't allowed. Thanks and HH.

Steve, that cannot be correct. I think you are confusing gov't. land with gov't. installations, such as posts, building complexes, etc.
I know, for example, that any citizen still has the right to file mining claims on vast acreages of public lands in the west. Prospecting is permitted on these lands including electronic means.
I am just checking into some specific areas of New Mexico with National Forest designations where specific agencies oversee.

Rich: You are correct that Mining is allowed on certin areas of BLM and National forrest Lands. Congress has kept in force an 1800's law that states that citizens will be allowed to do recational mining. What has changed is the fees and Permits required to do it. Electronic ( Metal Detectors ) are allowed for the same. The amt. of Land now open for this has been vastly reduced, hundreds of thousand's of acres are now closed to recretional mining. If you want to metal detect for coins or anything else, look at the fine print in the rules covering BLM land and National Parks and forrests, some of them state outright Metal Detecting is forbiden, many state nothing about Metal Detecting, However do state that it is a violation of the Law to move, or disturb any vegitation, rock or soil in their Jurisdiction,in other words you can Hunt, but you cannot dig, unless you want to risk Jail, fines, and loss of your Detectors.