Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting the Vast Expanse

Dancer

Conditions too Wild for wading so brought the X out to hunt the dry. The beach is about as horribly sanded in as possible. Sand so deep there's long stretches of silence. Moved to top end of beach, working a beach entry path. Well looky here, started picking up some change, 3 Charms. The X was able to handle the beach nearly Maxed out. By listening & the two discriminations was able to by pass most of the trash. The beach can cause things to sound different so gotta check those Iffy signals just to keep everything honest. Got to tell you about this one weak signal. It checked out on alt discrimination so took a scoop. Now the signal was better but definitely not a can. Took a couple more scoops before I correled it. Gotta be my deepest all-time quarter. Came out Black as can be. How deep? Who knows for sure, but darn it was down there. So anyway little over couple hours. $1.97 in clad 3 Charms. Nothing to brag about, except no one else was hunting in this mess so it was a challenge, and fun.

Good work! Is that somewhere in Florida? I'm heading to Fort Lauderdale in March and am debating whether to take my X (currently en route from Richard) and stick to the dry sand, or a PI machine for wet sand and water hunting. Won't have room to pack more than one, unfortunately.

-Ken

kittlitz said:
Good work! Is that somewhere in Florida? I'm heading to Fort Lauderdale in March and am debating whether to take my X (currently en route from Richard) and stick to the dry sand, or a PI machine for wet sand and water hunting. Won't have room to pack more than one, unfortunately.

-Ken

Ken, depends. You can hunt the dry everyday, but you can only wade when the waves are decent. Also depends how long your staying. If your gonna stay couple weeks or so, you could UPS one machine to your destination. Larderdale is a lot warmer than where Im staying, so better chance for fresh drops.

Dancer said:
Ken, depends. You can hunt the dry everyday, but you can only wade when the waves are decent. Also depends how long your staying. If your gonna stay couple weeks or so, you could UPS one machine to your destination. Larderdale is a lot warmer than where Im staying, so better chance for fresh drops.

Thanks, Dancer. Good point about the waves -- the only salt water hunting I've done is where there are tide breaks, so I might not know what I'm in for :) Do you know offhand how much more sand is exposed at low tide vs. high tide on a typical Florida beach (if there is such a thing)? In Hawaii the difference is pretty minor (maybe 10 feet), but I know some places it can be much greater.

We won't be staying long enough for me to courier in a second detector, unfortunately. But the place we're renting is right on the beach, so I plan to be out there at the crack of dawn along with the other scavengers :)

-Ken

kittlitz said:
Dancer said:

Thanks, Dancer. Good point about the waves -- the only salt water hunting I've done is where there are tide breaks, so I might not know what I'm in for :) Do you know offhand how much more sand is exposed at low tide vs. high tide on a typical Florida beach (if there is such a thing)? In Hawaii the difference is pretty minor (maybe 10 feet), but I know some places it can be much greater.

We won't be staying long enough for me to courier in a second detector, unfortunately. But the place we're renting is right on the beach, so I plan to be out there at the crack of dawn along with the other scavengers :)

-Ken
Ok, punch in Tide reports for Ft. Laurderdale, Fla. gives tides, temp, wave higth, charts 7 days at a time. Cant beat it.

Dancer said:
Ok, punch in Tide reports for Ft. Laurderdale, Fla. gives tides, temp, wave higth, charts 7 days at a time. Cant beat it.

Thanks again. After googling some terminology, i think what I want to find out is how big the "foreshore" or "intertidal zone" is, since that's the area of beach exposed at low tide but covered at high tide. The tide charts don't seem to include that, maybe because it's only of interest to metal-detecting weirdos :)

-Ken

kittlitz said:
Dancer said:

Thanks again. After googling some terminology, i think what I want to find out is how big the "foreshore" or "intertidal zone" is, since that's the area of beach exposed at low tide but covered at high tide. The tide charts don't seem to include that, maybe because it's only of interest to metal-detecting weirdos :)

-Ken
Let us know how it goes Ken. And good luck.

Some pics from the beach. Scene is real close to where I've been finding change and the Stirling Silver bracelet.

Attachments

• 20200104_084554_kindlephoto-19583376.jpg
    20200104_084554_kindlephoto-19583376.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20191226_052646_kindlephoto-4806424.jpg
    IMG_20191226_052646_kindlephoto-4806424.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 155
Scooped up a light Silver ring with the smallest stones ever the other day. This beach area polluted with tabs, caps. Machine still managed some coins with good % of Nickels.
20200202_121301.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20200202_105927.jpeg
    Resized_20200202_105927.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 144