Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I bought a 6000 pro xl....

Ron Brown

four years ago and am still looking for tips on how to ID gold rings vs. pull tabs. Anyone found a way to increase my chances? HH

#1.. Remember that location can play an important role in finding more gold jewelry. Hunt the sites that have a higher percentage of gold jewlery loss.

#2.. There is no 100% accurate target ID so you have to put the odds in your favor. Older sites that date back to when we were using the ring-pull type tabs have a greater 'spread' in the VDI range. Broken-off beaver tails often read similar to a US 5

they say most football fields have at least one gold ring and the method you describe in your last paragraph would be ideal for the football field because of less trash. I bought the 6000 pro XL as my first detector and all the gold rings I have were found with this machine. I have been using another detector for the last year and the 6000 has been used very little. This year I plan on trying to find more gold rings so will put the 6000 to more use. HH

On my 5900, small gold rings hit on the 'N' on nickles, class rings are on the zinc range 40-50. For better info, on discrimination, I suggest "Taking a closer look at metal detector discrimination" by Robert Brocett. This book gives all sorts of targets and the ranges where they were found on the older 6000. Hope this helps...John

"dig it if it beeps" is the best info given.... after you qualify the site... dig.......... I have found rings that other people passed over because they gave out digging after a few hundred pulltabs....
The pulltab to jewelry ratio is very high but can be very rewarding....Richardntn

You said all the gold was well below Nickel-how many points below; any so far as to read near '0'?

not that ALL gold does. I usually find several mens gold rings of a year that read higher, on up into the pull tab range, but this was more of a women's and kid's gold jewelry year I guess.

I'll get my XL Pro out of my rig and check the gold I have left and post the VDI numbers for you in a little while. When I do get gold that reads close to the '0' mark it is often a smaller, thin gold chain, such as a bracelet.

Monte

I wasn't able to get aroudn to it until just a little while ago. Most of the gold I find I sell when I am getting ready for a vacation road trip or when it gets close to Christmas. I only have one nice 14k neck chain (I recently found :) ) and 8 gold rings left.

On the XL Pro, the 14k neck chain, made in Israel, pegs the needle to iron, even if the chain is balled up.

There are three smaller rings (two are baby or toe rings) which all give a VDI of 8 ro 10. Two are 14k and one is 10k.

One 10k ring that is larger, about a woman's size 8, isnit thick, but it is larger around have has a little 'cup' shape where they set a yellow stone. It locks on at 16.

I have a size 8-9 womans religeous ring that is 14k but not think or wide. It locks at 18. There are two more that are very close to it in VDI, but they are slightly smaller (about size 6