Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I got a Pull Tab Experiment lined up.

Sweeping-4-junk

Just for fun i am going to set up the Explorer 2 to reject everything except for pull tabs. . Give it 15 minutes on a trashy site and see what comes through.... Same for screw tops , i will try a 15 minute hunt with just screw caps accepted and everything else rejected and see what comes through the window...Sweep slow and dig any signal no matter how bad it sounds...

Wow, what on earth are you expecting to accomplish with this experiment ? You are a glutton for pain and punishment ! haha

I am hoping a Gold Ring Will Show it's face...This is a new method called topsy turvy Metal Detecting! : :laugh: The Logic is to focus on trash signals, .I have had success doing this before finding Gold Rings..
15 minutes per session then back to normal detecting. The idea is to gradually pick the site clean (over a few years) of ALL non ferrous metal in the ground, the good the bad and ugly excluding ferrous junk. The Gold Rings are all over the place but 99% are walked right over by most people's coils..

Get ready to dig a shite load of plugs, these 6 pictures are from 6 different hunts digging everything from iron up. Your missing some stuff, sure, but not as many gold rings as you may think.

I dug 1 gold ring and 2 small gold pendants among all this trash and in a swimming area. I posted a picture of what I found in about 25-30 hours of hunting in the post below this one.

Thats why i do only 15 minutes of digging trashy signals. I have to admire your high level of perserverence digging that incredible amount of junk! Amazing... Nice rings and other jewelry you found though- top marks..
100 out of 100!. A Real die hard hunter... I am finding with every passing year more and more Gold and Silver rings plus nice costume jewelry rings (junk rings) i have been a ring hunter since i was 14. A years years have ticked by since then though:happy: Metal Detecting makes me feel like i am still 14 in some ways, out on the fields i feel 14 again... Get back home alone and sad to say i feel older for some reason!
I have found Big Gold Signet rings with diamonds in. 4 in 5 years a few years back.Thousands of pound coins too..a few roman ,a few hammered , early milled silver coins. army cap badges...trade tokens , ingot pendents loaded with 925 silver. My ring collection is amazing..some have been sold which i think was a mistake. now i sell nnothing much at all/

Doctorcoinz said:
Thats why i do only 15 minutes of digging trashy signals. I have to admire your high level of perserverence digging that incredible amount of junk! Amazing... Nice rings and other jewelry you found though- top marks..
100 out of 100!. A Real die hard hunter... I am finding with every passing year more and more Gold and Silver rings plus nice costume jewelry rings (junk rings) i have been a ring hunter since i was 14. A years years have ticked by since then though:happy: Metal Detecting makes me feel like i am still 14 in some ways, out on the fields i feel 14 again... Get back home alone and sad to say i feel older for some reason!
I have found Big Gold Signet rings with diamonds in. 4 in 5 years a few years back.Thousands of pound coins too..a few roman ,a few hammered , early milled silver coins. army cap badges...trade tokens , ingot pendents loaded with 925 silver. My ring collection is amazing..some have been sold which i think was a mistake. now i sell nnothing much at all/

Thank you!!

I don't normally hunt like this(jewelry) but, I know what's hiding around water that people swim in. It's almost guaranteed you'll find some silver and gold jewelry, but, you have to have your mind squarely made up to dig whatever gets under the coil. Like I said in the previous post, if this was a grassy spot, I'd only go for the silver stuff :) 30 years ago I had a beep and dig machine(Garrett Groundhog) and dug it all and enjoyed every minute of it. Now days I have to try and stack the odds in my favor knowing I'm leaving some jewelry behind, it's a price I'm willing to pay for now. And I will add, it also depend on the site, if it's an older producing place, I'll gladly dig as much trash as I have to.

Hey guys : Yes it's no secret that gold rings and aluminum junk share the same TID zones :/ Thus yes, it's true that if you want to dig gold rings, that you can't disc. out tabs, foil wads, can shrapnel, etc....

But the "secret to finding gold rings" is NOT to lower the disc. knob and dig aluminum junk until your arms fall off. I can think of junky blighted inner city parks where the ratio of aluminum junk to each gold ring would EASILY be 500 to 1 (or worse).

Instead, the "secret to finding gold rings", is : Location Location Location. There are places where the ratios aren't as punishing. Example: Swim beaches . Especially the ocean beaches, after storms erode them. Then all the light-weight aluminum is washed out, leaving only the heavy targets . Fresh-water swim lakes (if you are in-land) is an option. And let's face it: Sand is easier to dig in. Doh ! And for land/turf, there are zones where the junk ratio isn't as punishing. Like sand wrestle pits, sand volley-ball pits (where frolicking motions add to the odds of jewelry losses). And for turf: Athletics (like soccer, etc...) up the odds.

And places to AVOID the "strip-mine" method, would be: Any places where eating and drinking are going on . Eg.: picnic table zones. Because eating = foil, and drinking = tabs and can-slaw. BBQ pit areas = molten aluminum blobs. But notice that grass that's strictly for sports (soccer fields, football fields, etc....) is not the same image of people going out for picnics out there. So your junk ratio is much less punishing.

Thus as you can see, the secret to gold rings, is NOT "dig aluminum till your arms fall off". Instead, it's : Location Location Location.

Tom_in_CA said:
Hey guys : Yes it's no secret that gold rings and aluminum junk share the same TID zones :/ Thus yes, it's true that if you want to dig gold rings, that you can't disc. out tabs, foil wads, can shrapnel, etc....

But the "secret to finding gold rings" is NOT to lower the disc. knob and dig aluminum junk until your arms fall off. I can think of junky blighted inner city parks where the ratio of aluminum junk to each gold ring would EASILY be 500 to 1 (or worse).

Instead, the "secret to finding gold rings", is : Location Location Location. There are places where the ratios aren't as punishing. Example: Swim beaches . Especially the ocean beaches, after storms erode them. Then all the light-weight aluminum is washed out, leaving only the heavy targets . Fresh-water swim lakes (if you are in-land) is an option. And let's face it: Sand is easier to dig in. Doh ! And for land/turf, there are zones where the junk ratio isn't as punishing. Like sand wrestle pits, sand volley-ball pits (where frolicking motions add to the odds of jewelry losses). And for turf: Athletics (like soccer, etc...) up the odds.

And places to AVOID the "strip-mine" method, would be: Any places where eating and drinking are going on . Eg.: picnic table zones. Because eating = foil, and drinking = tabs and can-slaw. BBQ pit areas = molten aluminum blobs. But notice that grass that's strictly for sports (soccer fields, football fields, etc....) is not the same image of people going out for picnics out there. So your junk ratio is much less punishing.

Thus as you can see, the secret to gold rings, is NOT "dig aluminum till your arms fall off". Instead, it's : Location Location Location.

This was from a fresh water swimming area, as you can see, it's polluted with trash, I never hunt in the turf for gold jewelry. Most everything can be located with the pinpointer without having to cut a plug. Therefore recovery time and effort are no where near as time consuming as it would be in the grass. And yes, there is a layer of some sand before I hit hard pan.

My experiment with my Sovereign has yielded gold rings at a 1 to 500 ratio digs, by digging all targets nickles and above. Usually like everyone I start cherry picking for Silver and IHs and miss jewelry. Good job with the Experiment. Problem I have with the Explorer is being consistent with nickles. HH Ron