Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I got the war nickle of Ohio Coinhunters

Rick(ND)

This one is a 1943 S, so I went thought my War nickels and got one also that was a 1943 S plus a few of my other war nickles to try.
I tried the MXT first and seen where a reg nickle would read 20 and most of my war nickles read 20 but a couple read 22. This nickle from Ohio Coinhunter reads 55. Next I tried my Sovereign GT with the SunRay DTI 3 meter so it uses the 180 numbers. Reg nickle reads 144-145 while most war nickle read 145 up to 148. The nickle from Ohio coinhunter reads 172-173 which is almost where my zinc pennies and IH will read. Next I tried the Explorer XS II with the dual digital and a reg nickle reads 10-5 and the war nickles read 10-5 to 10-6 while this nickle from Ohio Coinhunter reads 7-24, so both the ferrous and the conductivity are differnt with this nickle. This one reads right at where my IH and zinc pennies read on the Explorer. Next I set up a new Quattro and tried it and it gave a 32 reading.
Out of all my war nickles none read this high on the meters. One thing I did notice with this nickle it looks real, but it dont look as good as mine do (not a clean looking as mine are when they come out of the ground)and that could be the ground condition it was in and still has a dull look to it unlike silver would, but like I say that can be the ground condition it was in. I was going to try to cean it to see if it would change it, but thought I better not.
So bottom line is this one is differnt and I dont remember seeing another one like this and yet I see Ohio Coinhunter found another one the same way.

Thanks for letting me see what this nickle would do on some of my detectors and i would like to know if i should send this nickle back to Ohio Coinhunter or to pass it on to the next person that may want to try it, but that is up to Ohio Coinhunter.

Rick

The other nickel I dug yesterday is a 1945 P. It read the same. That's 2 different years reading the same on the Quattro meter. Rick, hang on to the nickel for a little bit and see if someone else wants to test it.
Thanks
Jim

Well, that is what I expected. It sounded to me like he knew what he was doing and it had to be the nickel. So Rick, don't you think that these nickels of his have either a higher silver content or a higher copper content than normal...i.e., "hot" nickels? I don't put too much stock in any "coating" from the soil doing that. And with your exhaustive testing on multiple machines, I doubt anything will come from anybody else testing it.

What we need is to send it to a metallurgy lab, have them melt it down, and do a quantitative spectral analysis on the composition of it. Get on that, would you? :lol:

Is 2 with different years reading like this found in the same area of the country in a week. In my 32 years of detecting I have never seen this on a war nickle. I seen some slightly higher readings, but not reading this high.
Now what I would like to hear is from anyone else in that area getting a war nickle reading this high or anyone in other parts of the country getting one reading as high as a zinc or IH penny.
Not a expert and maybe this cant happen,but still wonder if there is a chemical reaction happening with the ground minerals and the metal composition of the war nickle.
Two with different years reading the same is odd, plus in the same area gets a person wondering all the different possibilitys.

Rick

Yeah, that is like lightning striking twice. Most unexpected, for sure. Why not do a little electrolysis on it, see what happens. I still say he's got hot nickels. Or maybe counterfeit? Something's up, that's for sure.