Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have had to quit a site because of dogs ripping my holes out.

professor-tones

I have been detecting a good field for the last few months, recovering about 500 coins. I have noticed recently holes filled with water are appearing all over the place. The field is now pockmarked with ripped out holes thanks to the dogs.
The field gets more dogs on it than I have ever seen:(, hundreds a day. I have tried refilling the ripped out holes with soil from molehills but the dogs are scratching out the refill. My holes are undetectable to the human eye once
I recover the coin or tab. The dogs can smell where the hole is filled for sure. Do you think I am responsible for the pockmarks or is the dog owner at fault ?. I have had aggression from people because of the holes.
I intend to revisit the site to refill the holes then quit the site.

Well you are a good part of the problem, the dogs really don't know any better. Really the dog owners should fix the holes, just like they should clean up after their dogs do their business. Next time you step in something you can get after the dog owners.

But I am thinking you may be able to find some kind spray sent killer that would stop the dogs from finding those filled in holes. Dogs have a pretty good nose on them but it may be worth a shot.

Good luck,

Ron in WV

I have been detecting a good field for the last few months, recovering about 500 coins. I have noticed recently holes filled with water are appearing all over the place. The field is now pockmarked with ripped out holes thanks to the dogs.
The field gets more dogs on it than I have ever seen:(, hundreds a day. I have tried refilling the ripped out holes with soil from molehills but the dogs are scratching out the refill. My holes are undetectable to the human eye once
I recover the coin or tab. The dogs can smell where the hole is filled for sure. Do you think I am responsible for the pockmarks or is the dog owner at fault ?. I have had aggression from people because of the holes.
Thanks for the advice.

Bleach cleaner in a spray bottle like Clorox cleaner plus bleach is what I use to train my dog to not bother things he shouldn't. Just a thought give it a try spray a shot on the turf when your done not the dog LOL

Well this might sound crazy but I wonder what would happen if you put a little piece of dog scat in the bottom of the hole before refilling as a deterrent, ya I know ,kinda takes the fun out of it.. or maybe a tic tac or cinnamon flavored mint.. chances are it was one hyperactive dog that did most of the damage...

Moth balls might stop them.

I will make it 2 votes for moth balls, they last longer outside. That may give holes a little extra time to heal over.
Ron in WV

The reason I thought of moth balls was that in my many years of carrying mail I had seen several people put moth balls around their flowers to keep the squirrels away.

Also what I do is cut a three sided plug like a square leave a hinge Gary from XP does it to.
Mark

Not knowing where you are but I do know that skunks will also dig up plugs due to their looking for food. Squirrels will also dig loosened ground.

I have video recorded the dog that is ripping the holes out. The video shows a crazy white dog scratching out the holes. Time to heal now for the site. I have abandoned it.

Buy some cheap Pepper after stomping the hole down ,sprinkle a health bit on top. That should slow the Buggers up.

Buy some cheap Pepper after stomping the hole down ,sprinkle a health bit on top. That should slow the Buggers up.
I believe the pepper would do the trick, a snot full of that would make the dogs day.

Ron in WV

Prof remember you from 3030 commentaries. You still swinging it? If you were even able to dig 500 holes in a field with your depth of knowledge, would hate to see you have to leave it. Go back every year or so dig a few holes fill back in he will conk out eventually then go back.. Best.

I had the same problem at a field I hunted but it wasn't dogs it was skunks looking for grubs and I was blamed for the holes.