Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Have Something To Say ; Hope Someone Agrees.

Dimesworth

I have been writing on the Tesoro forum beginning last spring. I haven't written anything lately because I've been out searching and trying to find something to brag about. I am going to write this, but please, don't anyone get the idea that I think that I'm an expert on the subject of detectors - I certainly am not! I am 69 years old and consider myself a fine shot with a .45 automatic, as a matter of fact, I would challenge just about anyone to a shooting match, off hand, at 15 yards.

Having boasted about my firearm prowess, I will return to detectors. I am ashamed to say that I'm an incurable sucker when it comes to hype. I purchased a Vaquero because it is very light and an old man like me can swing it all day with no problems. I also fell for the advertisement that the machine was a great discriminator - which it is - sometimes. I like the machine and have no complaints - most of the time. Now many so called knowledgeable people claim that the Infinium is a good machine, but, it has poor discrimination.
I could not disagree more. I tried the Vaquero at the shooting range and could not discriminate the brass that lies everywhere. But the Infinium LS gave a high-low on the brass and a low-high on about every coin except the nickel. Some newer pennies gave a high-low. The reverse discrimination is accurate for me about eight out of ten times and at a very deep level. And last year, at South Padre Island, the Vaquero chirped loudly and the Infinium was very quiet. All in all, and this is my humble opinion, I think I could get along nicely with just the Infinium. That is, if Mr. Garrett would just talk his engineers into shortening the long echo that the Infinium gives out. I would think that someone could manage this chore. However, I have learned to lay the coil on the ground to stop the echo short. I feel that there are people on this forum who could come up with some kind of remedy. P.S. - there are many coins laying at shooting ranges - mostly clad - but easy to find with the Infinium. Dimesworth

when I encountered alot of targets that were situated close together. I would have a hard time telling whether I was getting a high/low or a low/high signal because the signals seemed to blend together(if that makes any sense). Other than that, I think it is a very capable detector.

By the way Dimesworth, great post......:thumbup:

Tilt the coil to at least and angle of 45 degrees or more, and slowly scan towards that area with multiple targets. You are now going to get your signals off the side of your coil. The first audio signal should be where the target lies at the side of the coil. As you remove more coins from the pile, it just gets easier to get the rest.

About that long audio-duration after scanning a target. I use that to size my targets. A coin sized object gives a much less duration of audio then say a pop can which keeps the machine humming a lot longer. Once you get comfortable using this frature, you can leave a lot of the junk behind.

Just a couple of tips I have learned that are not in the manual. :)

Thanks John. I can see that method helping alot.:thumbup:

[size=medium][/size]
Hi Dimesworth,
For what it is worth here are my two nickels worth. I too went nuts with the long echo on the Infinium when I first got my
Infinium. I also went nuts with the radio interference (heavy at my beach), extra chirps and pops, signals at the end of
sweeps, etc. Well, I learned to tune it, ground balance, disc, threshold etc. and I learned to like the long echo. What
I like about the echo is that it is so different from other non target signals. The radio interference I was getting was much
shorter beeps and I learned to listen for the echo. Also faint signals are easier to hear with the longer echo.
In the meantime, I sent the unit back to Garrett, it was an old used model. It was updated and I got a new coil and it
runs much smoother. I still think that long echo is helpful kind of as another form of discrimination. Thanks for posting
and good luck with that 45. There is the story of the Texas Ranger who was asked why he carried a 45. His answer,
"Cuz they don't make a 46."
Good luck and thanks for the comparison to the Vaquero.
Panama Rich

bottlebum -Thanks for answering. I think we should both take John-Edmonton's advice on the 45 degree angle. I have also noticed the longer echo on larger targets, but I still feel the echo could be shortened some and still have the same affect. Dimesworth

John - You give good advice as always. I can see that you have precise attention concerning your detector, and as I stated above I still feel there is room for a little shortening of signal. However, if the machine stays as is and the engineers never change anything, I'm sure I will adapt as you and many others have. Thanks for the tips and hang in there. Dimesworth

VirginiaMatt - You are very correct - people do shoot at a gun range. I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as one is shooting at paper targets or in self defense when ever it is necessary. Remember the wise words of Ben Franklin, " Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "

panama rich - I guess I've never had any problems with noisy power lines and I think I have learned to adjust the frequency well. Black Davy has a quick frequency adjust that seems to work also. I see that you have become used to the long echo and I will probably have to yield to the machine too. I liked your Texas Ranger joke, I'll have to remember it. As far as the discrimination on the Infinium, I feel it is as good or better than any VLF. Hang tight - Dimesworth