Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I like the 8" coil

Daniel Tn

Got my SunRay 8" Stealth and put it on the Quattro. I first thought I had a problem but got around it. The coiled part of the wire is way bigger diameter than stock Minelab coil wire and I had trouble getting it down through the shaft. Not sure why they made them like that...anybody got a clue? It is going to make switching coils a pain in the butt unless I get an extra lower shaft and such. Fortunaly I think I like the 8" Stealth better than the 10.5 stock. Obviously it's lighter but I can also get 'er in smaller places and work around some trash. I sort of wonder about a 5" coil now. How do the ones available compare to the 8" and 10" for depth? Airtesting the 8" one...it sucks. In my test garden it seems just as good as the 10.5 coil or atleast it still hits all my coins. Hunting with it in my yard I get the feeling that it doesn't null as much as it is not seeing the same amount of targets per sweep that the 10" does. The only window I have blocked out on my DISC is -10 and that's it. I hear alot more stuff but I rather to hear low tones on - numbers than to hear null with the threshold. That way I have a good idea of what is there.

Would a 5" be worth getting? And which ones..the SunRay or Excellerator?

Also...let's go in the opposite direction. How many of you guys have the Platypus coil? Any good? I know it sure is costly. How does it compare to the 10.5" stock coil? I am wondering about it. I may have to try one out and if I like it better, may sell the 10.5 for one of them.

I'v got the 5" excellerator, bought it at Kellyco, and I like it a lot. You certainly don't get the ground coverage you do on a 10.5 per amount of time spent, but it seems to go fairly deep and it sure does seem to pick the trash out. I love it for the trash areas and the little nooks and crany's. I still need to build that test garden and test it for depth and stuff on the garden. When I do, I'll post my results. Man, I need to build that garden. I just cleared a place in my back yard, but it's rock hard clay, but "if I was a real man:)) I'd just get out there and get it done. Maybe I could mix some regular soil in with the the clay. I'll let you guys know if I get any results on that.

I've had my test garden for several years now...only added a few things to it in that time frame. LOL I bet some of the stuff has started to grow decent halos now. But alas...I just bought a place of my own a few weeks ago and have been in the process of getting things moved and ready to move in. So guess what I am going to have to dig up and take with me when I go.

Wow, are you kidding? How ya gonna do that, I wonder. You must have a pretty big pickup truck or a flatbed or something, but I don't blame you for not wanting to leave the old garden with the nice haloe's and the time they've been in the ground. Good luck with it.

I meant I was going to have to dig up the coins and bullets and take them with me to plant again. I kinda hate to because those bullets sound better now than they did when I first put them in the ground...the ground has settled and all that good stuff too. But it wont take but a few years to get it back that way at the new site.

Good Dan, you scared me for a minute. I was thinkin', this guy is really serious about his test garden, he's even gonna take the dirt with him. Yea, that makes a whole lot more sense to me too to dig them up. I don't know what I was thinkin' there. Have fun in the new place.