Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Need Some Info

moose57

Has anyone ever use the NEL Sharpshooter coil or the Cors 9x5 inch coils on the Tesoro detectors.And if so which one of the two
coils do you like the best.The reason I am asking is I am thinking of getting one of the two for my Colden umax.

Might be a good chance no one else has tried these on a Golden. I'd get a hold of Monte tell him what kind of hunting your gonna do and see what he has to say.

I have a Sharpshooter for my Fisher but a couple of comments. Catalog says they found it had good depth and separation, I find it works pretty good in trashy areas and my experience so far are targets to 6”. I like the fact the 9” height allows you to cover ground a bit faster than say the 5” round. Pinpointing is dead on under the coil where the shaft connects so that a plus.

Has anyone ever use the NEL Sharpshooter coil or the Cors 9x5 inch coils on the Tesoro detectors.And if so which one of the two
coils do you like the best.The reason I am asking is I am thinking of getting one of the two for my Colden umax.
Yes, I have used the NEL Sharpshooter and a few other aftermarket DD coils, plus all those that were made by Tesoro. I've used them in a variety of site environments, but most of the time it was Relic Hunting ghost towns and other old locations that had a lot of iron nails and other ferrous debris.

Due to the poor performance of all DD coils compared side-by-side with Concentric coils with most of the Tesoro model's circuitry designs, I don't use DD coils with a Tesoro. Concentric coils were easily the better performers.

In more open areas with reduced ferrous-target challenges, such as maybe Beach Hunting or some open-area Coin Hunting applications, some DD coils worked okay.

Of them, I liked the Sharoshoorer for performance, balance, and that relates to the good rod-mount position, and separation when nails are not too close to keepers.

Some Tesoro models will, sometimes, work a little better with DD coils than other models, but I have found the Tesoro circuitry designs to work better with Concentric coils in most cases.

Keep in mind, too, that the Golden microMAX relies on an internally pre-set GB and that function will change a little or a lot with search coil changes.

Monte

I bought a huge aftermarket coil for my Silver umax some years ago, but shamefully admit that I haven't hunted with it since. I did clean- out 2 virgin cavalry camps with that machine with the stock coil years ago. Great machine! I'm different than a lot of diggers in that I don't want to dig very deep targets. Health won't let me. 6-8" is where I've found most things.

If you have a huge, aftermarket coil, I'd offer up for sale portrayed and hopefully find somebody who thinks they are going to benefit from having an oversized coil.

I have eight detectors in my personal outfit and only one of them has a bigger size coil. That's my Garrett Apex with the 8-1/2X11 'Raider' DD. Coil mounted for open-area searches. All the rest of them have a small or mid-size coil mounted. For five and a half decades smaller to mid-sized coils have served me quite well, and a lot of that was early-on when I was healthier and had ample mobiluty. Today, it's a different. I've been getting around with a cane for just over 28 years and with other compounded help limitations my getting down and getting up is a serious struggle both ways.

Most of the good targets I find now are between surface and 5" or 6" with the few occasionally down to 8". Things haven't changed much since I got started in '65 .... most good stuff is surface to 4" and in some of those a little bit deeper fall into that depths up to give or take 6".

I enjoy using both my Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX with their 6" coils, my Relic w/5" DD, Simplex + w/5X9-1/2, ORX w/5X9-1/2 HF, and Apex devices w/5X8 'Ripper', the above mentioned 'Raider' coil, and a NEL 5" DD.

I also like all of my simple to easy-to-use detectors because I don't care for complexity.

I wish you the best of success on every opportunity you have to get out detecting.

Monte