Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I need your input on this please

SC_Dave

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I traded for this some time ago. I'm and old digger and the guy I trade with is too. I have reason to question whether it's authentic but I won't go into why I think that here. Can you guys tell anything in these pics that would lean you on way or the other?
Thanks Very Much!

Well my 2 cents isn't much since I've never found one or studied up on them... But I have watched a video on youtube and a guy dug one which was neat to see. From what I saw, it looks really similar but again not a expert on those tags. I'm sure all have some difference to them. Looks authentic to me.

I would think that the only way one would know for sure is to take it to a reputable Expert on items from that era.

100% of ALL known Genuine Slave Tags are from CHARLESTON or the suburb CHARLESTON NECK. If your purported "tag" is NOT Charleston, it is guaranteed to be a FANTASY. There are no known exceptions, and Yes, I do claim to be an expert.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/SLAVE-TAGS-Primer-Genuine-Fake-and-Fantasy-Tags-/10000000000090884/g.html

I have always heard only Charleston had slave tags. North south trader did a good article on them last month. I think it is a fantasy piece

There's no plantation name or owner's name on the tag. The makes it suspect to me.

gitterdug said:
100% of ALL known Genuine Slave Tags are from CHARLESTON or the suburb CHARLESTON NECK. If your purported "tag" is NOT Charleston, it is guaranteed to be a FANTASY. There are no known exceptions, and Yes, I do claim to be an expert.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/SLAVE-TAGS-Primer-Genuine-Fake-and-Fantasy-Tags-/10000000000090884/g.html

Although I don't know Rich Hartzog personally, I've been a collector of colonial coins for about 30 years and the name is one I've seen many times over the years. Colonial coin collectors frequently overlap with those the collect civil war tokens, large cents, blacksmith tokens, store cards and the like. I was a contributor to the Redbook for a number of years in the colonial area and am an expert in that series. Although I've personally examined many slave tags over the years through items auctioned by Stack's and Bowers, my knowledge of slave tags is limited. From my experience, I would say that if Rich says anything outside of Charleston is a fantasy I would believe him. Still a very neat find, but probably not a genuine slave tag.