Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I wanna see how good the Racer does in the nails

DigFella

90% of my hunting is around nail infested cellar holes, or foundations. I've had success with T2, AT Gold, etc. pulling buttons & coins out of the nails at
"Worked out" foundations using the tones & small coils. With the T2 I put disc on 21 to just break up nails. I'm currently under 4' of snow & my only options are air tests & the beach. The beach may not be a bad thing cause I like what I see on the Racers beach mode. Has anyone, in an area without snow, done well in heavy nails yet at say a similar situation like a ghost town ruin? I've done some ghost towns in WA that were similar nail infested type ruins...
I have the pro pack & small DD & dying for spring!
Thanks in advance

If the Racer is close to the operation of the Fors Core, you are going to be surprised at how well it works in iron. Depth with proper VID is also a plus.
I feel that with the Deus and the Racer at site should be vey easy to work in any iron. Deus for shallow stuff and Racer for those deep targets.

Tom in SC

Even though the Deus is crazy fast in testing, I still haven't harnessed it in the nails. I think I need more hours on it & a better program. I'm hoping the Racer can open up some possibilities cause I know a ton of small coins & buttons sit amid these nails that all other machines have missed. Since the Racer is 0-40 iron range, I'm wondering if I can set disc on say 21 to break up nails & use 2 tones like I did with the T2...

DigFella said:
Even though the Deus is crazy fast in testing, I still haven't harnessed it in the nails. I think I need more hours on it & a better program. I'm hoping the Racer can open up some possibilities cause I know a ton of small coins & buttons sit amid these nails that all other machines have missed. Since the Racer is 0-40 iron range, I'm wondering if I can set disc on say 21 to break up nails & use 2 tones like I did with the T2...

A shovel and a good sifter is better

I'm hunting with the CoRe, DI3 is crazy good in nails, like nothing I've ever seen. You don't need to change anything just turn on, select mode, GB and go. I hunt nail infested old torn down homesites. DI3 is simply amazing in that scenario. The Racer is virtually a CoRe from all the reports in a different configuration. Small coil is several steps above anything out there in the detecting world. The audio is tremendous too.

Ok, thanks a lot. What would be like the DI3 on the Racer. 3 tone mode?
I know I gutta experiment but I'm buried in snow ⛄

DI(scriminate)3 on the FORS CoRe. Both model can work quite well in iron trash.

Be cautious of some videos you see, however, with any detector being used on two or more closely-positioned targets. If the search coil is too close it can appear to be isolating or separating each target but it is actually the result of near-proximity effects on the Double-D search coil design.

I still prefer to start most of my hunting in the 2-Tone mode w/VCO audio, but have found several locations where I would double-check some targets using the 3-Tone mode [size=small](quicker to mode-change on the Racer)[/size], and at times I even choose to search in the 3-Tone mode. It just depends on the site environment, density of iron trash, and how things happen to sound to me at a location. With both models we have that 2-Tone/3-Tone option.

Monte

Monte said:
Be cautious of some videos you see, however, with any detector being used on two or more closely-positioned targets. If the search coil is too close it can appear to be isolating or separating each target but it is actually the result of near-proximity effects on the Double-D search coil design.

So that could be one of the reasons my Makro racer with stock coil seemed to separate the three coins better than the small coil in my videos.:starwars:

It really didn't look like that in your video. Every target your coil went over gave a report. The tell tale sign of that happening is after the last target on either side of the sweep once the center passed it you would get a report on the outer edge of the coil. Didn't see it in your video.

a stong back, a sturdy shovel, and a nice set of different mesh sized screens to shake the dickens out of the good target/bad target mix. Hombre gave you the best correct and 100% recovery method needed.

That said, you can opt for the less-laborious approach and use a great detector/coil team with the best settings possible. I have had some of my best success over the previous decades using some Tesoro's with 6" and 7" Concentric coils, or White's Classic series models with a 4½" or 6½" Concentric coil and more recently a White's MXT Pro, M6 or MX5 with a 6½" Concentric coil and occasionally an aftermarket 5" DD coil. I have/do enjoy using these models because the are 'simple' to set up and they 'work' quite well. My preferred sites are old and most often iron infested, especially with nails.

DigFella said:
Even though the Deus is crazy fast in testing, I still haven't harnessed it in the nails. I think I need more hours on it & a better program.
I have a couple of friends who bought into the marketing splash about the Deus and got one. They raved about what they could do with it ... but that was only if they tinkered with settings for one test scenario, then stepped to the next test scenario and tinkered around a lot more. At times they could fiddle with it and try to impress me with the Deus ability in one or two of the comparisons, but as we evaluated an assortment of actual in-the-field encounters and test scenarios, even they got tired in time with all the excess programming they had to do.

I like 'simple' and I also like 'performance' and 'functional' design. Both the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer are providing me with ample 'function' that is 'simple' to get into operation, and the results are excellent 'performance' in every environment I have hunted, comparing them with makes and models I own or borrowed. Oh, by the way, neither of those fellows who are pretty technical, one being an electronics engineer by profession, kept their XP Deus.

DigFella said:
I'm hoping the Racer can open up some possibilities cause I know a ton of small coins & buttons sit amid these nails that all other machines have missed.
The Racer certainly can, just use the right coil for the mission, keep the Gain and ID Filter [size=small](Sensitivity and Discrimination)[/size] under control and not use too much, then pick the 2-Tone or 3-Tone mode function that you feel suits you the best for the particular site you're hunting.

DigFella said:
Since the Racer is 0-40 iron range, I'm wondering if I can set disc on say 21 to break up nails & use 2 tones like I did with the T2.
Yes, just use the best ID Filter setting to just barely satisfy the iron task at hand. Remember, too, that even within one company you can have similarities and variables, such as a '40' break-point for Iron/Non-Iron and the point at which the detector and coil handle iron nails.

Yes, the FORS and Racer use a '40' numeric Target ID number to lump most iron trash at a lower reading. Teknetics uses the same '40' "break-point," but there are differences. The T2 breaks at '40' but it needs a Discriminate setting of about '21'/'22' to reject the four nails on my NBPT. Their own Omega also has a '40' break-point for ferrous, but the same iron nails are rejected with an Omega setting of '16'/'17.' Their Euro-Tek Pro also is designed with a '40' break-point for iron, but the same nails require a Discriminate setting of '38' to barely knock them out. So we can not always refer to a Discrimination reference as being the same from model-to-model, even within the same company.

On the FORS and Racer I use a rejection setting of '23' in the 3-Tone mode to just slightly reject the four iron nails. At that setting the Racer out-shines almost every detector I have up against it so far using the 'standard' coil, a 5½X10 DD and the 5ish" DD. I use an ID Filter setting of '10' most of the time in the 2-Tone mode because I do hunt some open areas and like to listen for any metal at a site, and the 2-Tone VCO audio works great for my needs.

I think you will find the Racer's in-the-field performance to be a great match for your types of iron littered sites, and about the only thing better would be a total clean-out of the sites ... back to the shovel and screens and a stout back. With my bad back I am more than satisfied with my decision to change over to the FORS/Racer team of detectors to bring me results.

Monte

Thanks a lot for the in-depth answers. 23 disc gives me a great starting point to begin testing at my colonial foundations once the snow melts. I'll experiment with 2 or 3 tones to see what works best. I know on my T2 I settled on 2 tones as working best for me. Since you don't need super depth to unmask items in nails, I'm thinking 3 tones will be a starting point for me. Yes, we have done some sifting at these foundations, but as you mentioned that is a ton of work & some of these foundations are HUGE. It would take years & you may only leave with a couple buttons. As you said, I'd rather find a detector to help get me a few more goodies. These foundations have been hit for 30 years. But it's satisfying when you can pull out a half dime or half reale previously missed.
Thanks again

With the performance I've seen with the CoRe in nails, you're not gonna believe what your other detectors have missed DigFella.