Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID Norm

DukeOBass

I'm considering setting ID NORM to "Yes" in my profile. I'm not the type that likes to try to remember changing TIDs from one frequency to the next. It seems to me that the audio of a "borderline target" might shift with changing frequencies whereas if you were to ID Normalize they should sound the same from one frequency to the the next. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I think the only down side to ID Norm is if you want to switch back and forth to check questionable signals with different frequencies. I set mine up ID Norm originally but then figured out that I hunt in 12 most of the time anyway. I would make the switch and see how you get along. The joy of the Deus is it is easy to go back if you have second thoughts.

Don
HH

Thank you! I appreciate the insight. There's a great bunch here!

Going into the PROGRAMS menu, I never see a list of the stored programs. I only see SAVE, EDIT and DELETE.

That is right. You cannot overwrite any of the factory programs. That's another one that many of us have on the "Wish list".

That's one thing I miss going from Version 2.0 to 3.2 - ID norm is always ON and I can't change it without a control box! Just a minor point for me though since I'm an audio hunter. 8kHz is my goto freq and it provided a better target ID for everything. Once I get the box I will set up my own prog with 5 tones - the more I use the Deus the better I like it! I have maybe 50 hours on it in the month I've owned it but I've found 7 silvers, almost a whole roll of Wheats, plus a bunch of clad - very happy with the results to date!

Is it better to set ID NORM to Yes if you want a specific target to sound the same in every frequency?

I think ID Norm is just that, the TID is the same no matter what frequency you are using. I don't think it affects the sound. If you leave it off and do some testing of the different coins we look for and all the while taking notes of the TID you will see that 8 Kilohertz offers the best TID values. What I mean is there's a larger window between the different coins.

CZconnoisseur said:
That's one thing I miss going from Version 2.0 to 3.2 - ID norm is always ON and I can't change it without a control box! Just a minor point for me though since I'm an audio hunter. 8kHz is my goto freq and it provided a better target ID for everything. Once I get the box I will set up my own prog with 5 tones - the more I use the Deus the better I like it! I have maybe 50 hours on it in the month I've owned it but I've found 7 silvers, almost a whole roll of Wheats, plus a bunch of clad - very happy with the results to date!

Does not seem right that it would be in ID normal. That would over ride the factory programs.
Without the control unit how do you tell if it is set to ID norm?
Not counting you just does not sound right.
Jpiddle

j piddle said:
Jpiddle

V3.2 has ID norm activated upon the upgrade - I think factory progs are all set to 18kHz values. Doesn't matter what freq I use, the VDI is the same for all progs on say, a clad quarter. Comes in around 94 every time. A silver quarter comes in at 95-96, silver dime is 91-92, and so on. I really liked the values for 8 kHz since it spread out everything a little better and in 8kHz if you get a signal higher than 96 or so you can count on it being iron almost every time at least for me. Have dug a few 97-98 IDed targets that were deeper quarters, like you did a few days back.

As far as I know you can't turn off ID norm without the box - so I'll live with it for now

CZconnoisseur said:
j piddle said:
Jpiddle

V3.2 has ID norm activated upon the upgrade - I think factory progs are all set to 18kHz values. Doesn't matter what freq I use, the VDI is the same for all progs on say, a clad quarter. Comes in around 94 every time. A silver quarter comes in at 95-96, silver dime is 91-92, and so on. I really liked the values for 8 kHz since it spread out everything a little better and in 8kHz if you get a signal higher than 96 or so you can count on it being iron almost every time at least for me. Have dug a few 97-98 IDed targets that were deeper quarters, like you did a few days back.

As far as I know you can't turn off ID norm without the box - so I'll live with it for now

Still seems something is amiss. Even with ID Norm on if you change feq. On a program that you are using that feq.should override ID Norm until you either change it again or turn the machine off. I am assuming we are talking about the factory preset programs.

I am a long way from being a expert with the Deus but I think I am right about this. I had a problem with mine that I lost the expert function under sensitive and had to plug up and do a download to correct it. Might try that.

Where is Andy ? He can sort this out and correct me if I am wrong.

One thing I know for sure that I get higher VDIs the deeper the target. Why I have no ideal.

Keep us posted.
Jpiddle

OK I found out what's going on...In version 3.2 ID NORM is activated in all the FACTORY programs. I forgot that I made a Prog#11 when I did the upgrade and this one does not have ID NORM applied. Never used Prog#11 in the field because reactivity was too low for my trash-infested city!!! So I ran a few targets over it, changed freqs, and then the VDI changed accordingly. I tried this same experiment with ALL the 10 factory programs except #4, which is pitch, and I got the same VDI for the same target.

So tomorrow I'm going to tweak this program, maybe up the reac to 2 and change a couple other settings, and then make a Prog #12 which will be better suited for extreme trashy areas. Thinking a Reac of 4 with appropriate silencer and iron vol settings for the roller coaster area. I love Deus Fast, but HATE all the iron tones and falsing. Hopefully a few changes can be made so the digging of frequent large iron can subside...still learning!

Still not sure why you get higher than usual VDIs for deep targets. The few deepies I've found that I happened to check the VDI all came in LOWER than if the coin was easily in VDI range. Some of the crusty Wheats recently found between 3-6" came in around 60-65 with ID norm activated...but I'm guessing trash had a part to play there...

Maybe reloading the upgrade will help...let us know how it goes!