Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

....I'm using the GRANDDADDY OF THE SCORPION......

John(H)

........Used a Groundhog for years but sold it a few years ago.......I was missing it .......so a while back I started looking for a replacement but was desiring one with Modifications.........Luckily I found a Near Mint Garrett Gold Hunter..........VERY SENSITIVE AND HOT.......As far as I can tell this detector is very similar to the Gold Scorpion except that it does not have the Motion Discriminate Mode......I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS GRANDPA........LOL............JOE

Yes I had a Garrett Goldhunter in about 1986. I think it was the same as the Australian A2B Groundhog. Boy was that sensitive is right, back in the mid 80's I picked up the tinyest pieces of iron scrapings off of a bulldozer blade while looking for gold nuggets. I later got a Compass Gold Scanner and went hunting with a fellow with a Groundhog with a hipmount option I think. Boy he found some big gold with that 15 kHz machine that handled very well the worst mineralization almost possible. That Groundhog circuit was very good in its day and found alot of gold. I hit my most gold with the Compass Gold Scanner though.

It had the old style goose-neck style handle-box the same as my old Compass Judge I Automatic from about 1975. I would like to see a picture of one again. Does anyone please have pic as Bugar In. USA said??

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: for the A2B and ADS-Goldhunter GROUND HOG Series Metal Detectors:
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/manuals2/A2B-ADS-Goldhunter.pdf

I've got a pic of a Compass Relic Magnum 7 I believe. Same design. Also I could go through my collection of old treasure mags ( 1000 ) and look for a Compass ad. I used Compass for many years. My first was the 77 IB. I've still got a Coin Hustler.

Bill

.....HERE ARE THE PIC'S....SORRY FOR THE DELAY.....MY BROTHER HAD EMERGENCY DOUBLE BYPASS HEART SURGERY THIS PAST WEDNESDAY.......SO I WAS PREOCCUPIED..........

....ONE MORE PIC....as can be seen ...one of the previous owners changed all of the lower rod and bolt to being Non-Metallic...I do not believe that the Garrett Factory did this??....MAYBE THAT IS WHY IT IS SO SENSITIVE..............JOE

......I WAS WONDERING THE PREVIOUS HISTORY OF THE GOLD SCORPION STINGER.........CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG......1)....ORIGINAL GROUNDHOG ....NO ADS.....2)....ADS GROUNDHOG......3).....GOLD HUNTER.....4)....A2B.......5)....A3B......AND ....6)....GOLD SCORPION STINGER..........SO TECHNICALLY MINE WOULD BE THE GREAT GRANDDADDY OF THE SCORPION......LOL......JOE

Hey thanks for the pics Joe.:clapping:That looks alot like my old Coin Hunter VLF/TR.:garrett::detecting:It's a groundhog/15kHz. Same search coil, too. I really like the way that you've got non-metal lower stem and hardware. I bet that does help with the sensitivity. I'll take some pics of mine when I can get around to it(we travel light/it's stored).
Thanks for sharing.:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

.....JOHN-Edmongton......I am going to try some of your techniques on my Gold Hunter....they should work......only dig the very strong and very weak signals........and see what happens!!..........I am going back to work Monday after being off for 3 months due to a knee replacement surgery......so hopefully I can get out soon........Joe

I was out of town too. Wow, thanks for those pictures Joe, the extra effort is appreciated, that's the one I had about 23-24 years ago! Those machines won the west at the end of the 1970's and 1980's, just like the 6 gun in the 1870's and 1880's. It was the highest tech machine for gold at the time. The same goose neck shape as the old Compass machines. There was an arm rest attachment available that hooked onto the back of the handle that supported just below a persons elbow. Also a hipmount conversion as well, I do not know if it was from Garrett or custom made. Bigger 12.5" or 14" coils were also available. Yes that machine is the Granddaddy of the Scorpion, with about the same 15 kHz circuit. Yes the more metal away from the coil the better. Thanks for sharing.

But I wonder if the new Scorpion is made a little hotter and has more depth than that old Gold Hunter, or about the same??

That is neat Bill. I also use to buy treasure magazines starting about the mid 1970's, Treasure, Treasure Search, and Treasure Found.

.....NOT sure if the Scorpion is HOTTER than the GOLD HUNTER................I never had a Gold Scorpion so I have nothing to compare it to......most of my experience comes from using the Garrett ADS DeepSeeker and the Garrett ADS Groundhog.....I have not had time to really check the Gold Hunter out.....from playing with it on my carpet ..with rebarb in the cement floor........it seems to be at least equal to the ADS Groundhog maybe even a bit better......I plan to go out with it before the Summer Heat Wave hits......I think that even today we are getting real close to the Summer Heat....it was probably at least in the upper 80's today............Joe

Had to run by the old rent house for a minor plumbing job(cheaper than calling a plumber. Much cheaper!) Figured I'd dig the old Coin Hunter out of the shed and post a couple pics. Great little machine. Still works good. Those Garrett's are built to last. Makes me wonder how the Infinium will be doin' after a couple or three decades(or the Scorp for that matter)and what innovations detector technology will have to offer then.
Happy Hunting!:)