Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium and bobby pins

Reeseb

I'm a new Infinium user and I plan to only use it in the fresh water lakes are my home. The problem I've been having is that the detector is way too sensitive to smaller targets like bobby pins and nails. I have the 10X14 DD, 10X14 mono and 8-inch mono coils, but I have mostly been using the 8-inch mono.

My question is: which of the three coils is best for areas where there are bobby pins and other small surface targets? I am hoping to get the deep coins and rings the guys with Excaliburs in all metal mode might be missing.

It is the nature of the PI beast - no true discrimination. If you want a very deep target, you have to get rid of all the trash first.
For what you are trying to do, I would use the 8" mono, a small screen scoop (so earring backs will not pass through),
a magnet in the scoop, swing slow, and dig all targets. Then when you think you have all the metal, increase the sensitivity and
start all over. In today's with so many of us trying to do just what you want to do, you will have to go the extra mile and do what
most will or do not do. And lastly, don't forget to recheck every hole you dig. I have seen a 3 cent piece pulled up form a fresh
water pond that was a good foot below a deep silver ring. It took the detectorist about 15 minutes to dig it up from the deep
sandy bottom.

Thanks, WaterWalker. That's how I hunt with my Excalibur. I remove all nails and bobby pins and find the good stuff along with them and as the hole gets deeper, more targets come in. But this Infinium sounds off on the time bits of stuff the Excalibur doesn't see; and the tiny bits are everywhere. Maybe the 10X14 DD coil would be less sensitive to the iron bits. I haven't tried that one yet.

X 2 as Water walker said.
I also have all 3 coils my goto in fresh water is the 10 x 14 mono I dig and take everything. I have a 1/4 inch screen in my sifter along with magnets.
on quiet mornings some times I can run 0 dic thershold at 8 with a pair of GGA headphones to lower the volume, as hot as it gets on many deep targets I only get a slight sound on my swing to my right, for some reason my Infini is more sensitive on a right swing????
this swim area has been used since the 30s with 3 different layers of sand so there is old gold and silver there, you just have to keep going back and hit it from different directions.a deep silver coin only changes the threshold slightly, remove some sand and see if it gets louder.

Jim in MA said:
for some reason my Infini is more sensitive on a right swing????.

I've noticed the same thing with my newly acquired "used" Infinium. Makes me feel better that it may be common as the target gets deeper.

Reeseb said:
I'm a new Infinium user and I plan to only use it in the fresh water lakes are my home. The problem I've been having is that the detector is way too sensitive to smaller targets like bobby pins and nails. I have the 10X14 DD, 10X14 mono and 8-inch mono coils, but I have mostly been using the 8-inch mono.

My question is: which of the three coils is best for areas where there are bobby pins and other small surface targets? I am hoping to get the deep coins and rings the guys with Excaliburs in all metal mode might be missing.

The 10 x 14 mono or DD are good beach coils for most targets. The 8 inch mono has better sensitivity to coin and ring size items than the 10 x 14s .
The small DDs are fine for beach work but lack detection depth when compared to the two monos and lg DD.

Use a very slow sweep speed for best results on weak signals or when searching for small or deep targets.

I dig very few bobby pins when using my Infinium.
Bobby pins invariably produce a double tone in one direction of the coil sweep, (it may be a weak double tone)so check the target from different sweep directions. If the signal is strong then raise the coil a few inches and try again, the weaker signal is more likely to produce the double tones that are caused by bobby pins and other elongated bits of wire and some tent pegs.

setting disc above 3 will eliminate small gold items.
A setting of 1 may improve the gold response on small 18 to 24 kt gold.

A very strong signal on a beach that disappears in Iron check is likely to be a steel bottle cap.