Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium LS 101 (session -2)

Cupajo

Hi Fellow Infinium owners and interested others,

Today I hunted a yard with nearby residential power lines to see if there was a problem with the machine or not. (Gathering information as it were.)
There was a bit of initial chatter that with frequency adjust and ground balancing settled down to a steady threshold tone and very little instability (Odd small tones, not a bother tho) I pin pointed with the 8" coil fairly well and dug an assortment of Hi-Low/Lo-Hi signals while iron checking to verify that the performance was as designed and I found myself once again liking this machine!!!A few nails (iron), a couple of pieces of lead, solid signals and good ID responses.

I called the Garrett rep and was told that there is no recognised warm up period, however each machine will respond according to it's own built in uniqueness. One may require a few moments to get up to speed and yet may be a better performer than an identical machine because of these tolerance differences. All of the problems I have been experiencing in the salt water can be expected as a by-product of the extreme sensitivity of the LS which can be used to great advantage when the conditions are right. Learning to anticipate what constitutes perfect conditions is only a matter of time and experience.

Next will be a dry/wet beach sand experiment. Until then--------

HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

Re: Infinium 101 up-date #2
Posted by: diggindirt [ Send a PM ]
Date: May 29, 2008 08:21PM Registered: 2 years ago

Glad to hear things are working better with the machine for you.

On water hunting, the Infinium has been designed with no buffer or reduced sensitivity to salt water. Most other beach PI machines have the sensitivity reduced to not be bothered with the effects of salt water, however, this reduced response makes those detectors less sensitive to smaller targets and gold.

Since the Infinium was also designed to be able to hear and detect small gold in the field while relic hunting, the design allows you to dial in the desired amount of rejection to salt water conductivity.

You have to really take the time to learn how to get the best balance in the various conditions and locations were it's used. In the beginning I wanted to wrap it around a tree on a few occasions too.

After using it for awhile beach hunting, something just clicked and I was able to consistently adjust it with a decent steady threshold while feeling confident the settings were correct for the area.

Try to ground balance it in the worst areas and do it real slow as this is the most important setting! It's also critical to pick the best frequency to have a steady running machine. I usually have the disc set between 2 and 3 (sometimes 4) with no real loss of depth noticed. Once you have the machine running good with the threshold steady, lock everything in and remember the settings for that area.

Keep us posted and good luck hunting!!!

Posted by: Cupajo [ Send a PM ]
Date: May 29, 2008 09:12PM Registered: 6 weeks ago

Hi Diggin,

I have come to those conclusions myself. The area I like to hunt is a particular challenge because of the uneven stony bottom. Also the surf can be a problem giving erratic signals with the rise and fall of the swells that I haven't been able to tune out. I haven't given up. As I mentioned earlier I'm working on learning the parameters that I must operate within.

Thanks for your info and HH Friend,

Cupajo

Posted by: Black Davy [ Send a PM ]
Date: May 30, 2008 08:25AM Registered: 2 years ago

Cupajo,

When I was working the treasure coast in Florida it took about 5-10 minutes for my unit to level out. I had balanced it and left it in slow. I was getting bobbled tones on the swings but a real target was noticeable. After the 5-10 minutes the unit leveled out to the surroundings or I had moved away from the ground that was responsible for the erratic signals. For the sake of it try limiting your swings to a 2'-3' width in the trouble areas, it always seems the outer most part of the swing brings on the false swing. This is what I use to do so I could work a trouble area. I do not seem to have this issue any more. I did work a pond a month ago that gave me bad false tones on the outer swings so I limited them to less than 3' wide for the sake of working the area but this was not the cure. It turned out it was a patch of ground about 20' wide that was the problem. I could work outside this zone without issues. I went back and forth a few times just to verify it was the ground conditions. As Steve says

Posted by: Cupajo [ Send a PM ]
Date: May 30, 2008 08:48AM Registered: 6 weeks ago

Hey Black Davey,

I hoped you would offer us/me the benefit of your experience too. Thanks for the post as it fills in a few more blanks. Those of us that recognise the uniqueness of the Infinium need to share information about these odd behaviours so we know how to best deal with them. When the word gets out tho we may find there are a lot more of us and the pickins may get thinner!!!

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)