Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium LS Discrimination

No it can't disc out nails and hair pins. Nails and hairpins usually give a double bleep and a longer signal one way, a shorter signal the other way. What the disc can do is knock out the interference from high salt content in water and wet sand on shore. Where as a lot of other detectors (PI's) are already calibrated to knock out the salt ( and unfortunately some thin gold rings too) Garrett allows you to personally make adjustments to suite your own hunting preferences. You can run the Infinium slightly unstable and STILL get those other small gold bands that the other machines won't pick up.

Yes, the "discrimination" knob/function on the Infinium appears to be adjusting the pulse delay. (Where pulse delay is defined as the time measured between the time when the transmitted pulse stops and the pulse receiver is turned on.) Although I haven't been able to get anyone from Garrett to acknowledge that is what the discrimination knob is doing, that is how Charles Garrett describes that function in figure 16-2 on page 187 in his book, "The Advanced Handbook on Modern Metal Detectors, First Edition." And functionally, that is exactly what it appears to be doing. As you rotate the knob in a clockwise direction it starts to eliminate lower conductivity items, exactly as changing/increasing a pulse delay would do. First salt is eliminated (as noted above), then foil, nickel, pull-tabs...
Garrett recommends that you do not go past the "3", and I believe that is because the machine was primarily designed as a gold prospecting machine, and small pieces of gold respond as low conductivity metals and fall in the same conductivity range as salt, foil, nickel and pull-tabs.

I have never scanned a hair pin, but I have found plenty of nails. And they all respond as "low-high" sounds, which means they are considered highly conductive on the Infinium (PI) conductivity scale (different from the VLF conductivity scale). And the "reverse discrimination" function - which is rotating the discrimination knob all the way clockwise - eliminates pretty much everything except extremely PI conductive objects like iron, large silver objects/coins and large, pure gold. So unless the nail was very small and thin, I don't think you could ever discriminate one out.