Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Initial setup on Tesoro Bandido II µMax to find clean ground for GB'ing.

ToddB64

Hi All ! :thumbup:

When I first bought my Tesoro "Bandido II µMax" metal detector, I read the manual thoroughly several times and to me it seemed voluminous and some of the material poorly arranged. As an example, as stated on page 6-4 of Robert H. Sickler's book DETECTORIST, First Edition Printing, July 1993 that I highly recommend, "The most important and often overlooked first step in manual ground balancing is locating an area of ground free of metal and highly nonconductive sources such as "hot rocks" and black sand deposits.", and he goes on to explain in detail how to setup and find a clean area and then Ground Balance your detector.

Well, being an imperative first step, it should be explicitly covered at the very beginning of all Ground Balancing instructions for metal detectors with a manual GB control, whether a digital button, soft-touch pad, or dial knob as employed on the analog Bandido II µMax.

Unfortunately the first and only mention of Ground Balancing over a clean area in the Bandido II µMax manual is on page 9 of 16 where it simply says "Second, make sure you are Ground balancing in a clean area and not lowering the searchcoil down over a piece of metal.". That seems like a skimpy offering for an imperative instruction and lacks explicit detail. I suppose there are times when the writers and editors of instruction manuals can opt to rely on readers using their intuitive powers to understand instructions, but I'm sorry IMHO, that instance wasn't one of them.

Another source of help I received was from a Find's Treasure Forums member, Randy Albin (Username: Hombre), who had mastered his Bandido II µMax at the time and kindly offered me his advice. I also received much help from another of our members, the indomitable Monte V. Berry, who was long-suffering with me giving advice over a period of years when I needed help and was bombarding him with questions.

I just wanted to help any folks out there having difficulty understanding their Bandido II µMax operation, by relating my own experience and sources of help.

My sincere thanks to all three of these fine gentlemen.

ToddB64

When I first bought my Tesoro "Bandido II µMax" metal detector, I read the manual thoroughly several times and to me it seemed voluminous and some of the material poorly arranged. As an example, as stated on page 6-4 of Robert H. Sickler's book DETECTORIST, First Edition Printing, July 1993 that I highly recommend, "The most important and often overlooked first step in manual ground balancing is locating an area of ground free of metal and highly nonconductive sources such as "hot rocks" and black sand deposits.", and he goes on to explain in detail how to setup and find a clean area and then Ground Balance your detector.

Well, being an imperative first step, it should be explicitly covered at the very beginning of all Ground Balancing instructions for metal detectors with a manual GB control, whether a digital button, soft-touch pad, or dial knob as employed on the analog Bandido II µMax.

Unfortunately the first and only mention of Ground Balancing over a clean area in the Bandido II µMax manual is on page 9 of 16 where it simply says "Second, make sure you are Ground balancing in a clean area and not lowering the searchcoil down over a piece of metal.". That seems like a skimpy offering for an imperative instruction and lacks explicit detail. I suppose there are times when the writers and editors of instruction manuals can opt to rely on readers using their intuitive powers to understand instructions, but I'm sorry IMHO, that instance wasn't one of them.

Another source of help I received was from a Find's Treasure Forums member, Randy Albin (Username: Hombre), who had mastered his Bandido II µMax at the time and kindly offered me his advice. I also received much help from another of our members, the indomitable Monte V. Berry, who was long-suffering with me giving advice over a period of years when I needed help and was bombarding him with questions.

I just wanted to help any folks out there having difficulty understanding their Bandido II µMax operation, by relating my own experience and sources of help.

ToddB64
I bought one from a lady here in Louisiana for $85 and sent it in to Rusty and he said it's perfect. Then I put it in the closet and haven't used it since. Got an AT-Pro and a Nokta Simplex + and hope to drag out out sometime this summer. Hope I remember all the stuff.

I bought one from a lady here in Louisiana for $85 and sent it in to Rusty and he said it's perfect. Then I put it in the closet and haven't used it since. Got an AT-Pro and a Nokta Simplex + and hope to drag out out sometime this summer. Hope I remember all the stuff.

Hi fematrailer,

Re your last comment , "if your memory is that good, you should get on Jeopardy and win some big money !" 😉

Good Luck,
ToddB64

Hi fematrailer,

Re your last comment , "if your memory is that good, you should get on Jeopardy and win some big money !" 😉

Good Luck,
ToddB64
Not sure but I'll just thumb check the targets

"Second, make sure you are Ground balancing in a clean area and not lowering the searchcoil down over a piece of metal.". That seems like a skimpy offering for an imperative instruction and lacks explicit detail.

Couldn't be any less complicated..

g

It's like riding a bike. As long as you used to know and watch a couple videos you'll be fine
Al's
Though my nokta/makro detectors are older than yours I still find no need to upgrade and can say I think you'll enjoy the tesoro :) it's a nice change from the way of detecting with the digital machines.

ToddB64
Good mercy just bought a Bandito 2 umax and comes with a 6"coil its on its way.but cannot find a manual for it without giving everyone your life history:eek:Need some help to get this manual.Thank you:thumbup:

Just bought a Bandito 2 umax cannot find a manual without turning over private information.Do you have any idea where to find one?Thank you.cjm45

Just bought a Bandito 2 umax cannot find a manual without turning over private information.Do you have any idea where to find one?Thank you.cjm45
I'll look.

C.J.M.,
The original Owner's Manual for the Tesoro Bandido II µMax is 16 pages long and when I bought my used B2 micro-Max as a second (or maybe third) party used machine, the manual was missing by that time. However, Tesoro was still in business at that time, so I was able to download a pdf copy from their website.....Tesoro is now defunct of course.

Unfortunately, my pdf manual is horrendously marked up with my added notes, as frankly I found the manual a real chore to use and understand.....maybe my brain just wasn't up to the task, but for me the information wasn't organized well. For example, I would be reading a certain subject under it's title and then as I read more pages with different subject titles in the manual, I would discover additional information on the previous subjects that, in my view, should have been included on the earlier pages under their subject titles and I won't even go into the additional challenges I encountered. :rolleyes:

So, to make instructions more concise for me, I re-studied the manual, making reference notes on the pages so I could pull all the information together, and then I typed up my own "custom-made-for-me" Operation Sheets that could be taken along when metal detecting parks, etc..

Like I said, the original manual was 16 pages long and perhaps someone here will volunteer to e-mail copies of clean, or even minimally marked, pages to you, or for a small fee could mail you photo-copies from their manual.

Good Luck ! ;)

ToddB64

Last edited:
I have already posted a link to his original request thread on here for a download for free.

Hi bigtim1973 !

I don't know what happened, but I had just read cjm45's post # 8, dated Friday 9:17 PM where he said "Just bought a Bandito 2 umax cannot find a manual without turning over private information. Do you have any idea where to find one? Thank you.cjm45", so I thought he still needed help finding a manual for the Bandido II µMax. I didn't see your post on that page; where was it ? :confused:
Sorry for my post #10.......I wasn't trying to "Take any wind out of your sails" ;)

ToddB64

Hi bigtim1973 !

I don't know what happened, but I had just read cjm45's post # 8, dated Friday 9:17 PM where he said "Just bought a Bandito 2 umax cannot find a manual without turning over private information. Do you have any idea where to find one? Thank you.cjm45", so I thought he still needed help finding a manual for the Bandido II µMax. I didn't see your post on that page; where was it ? :confused:
Sorry for my post #10.......I wasn't trying to "Take any wind out of your sails" ;)

ToddB64

He started his on thread here on the beep and dig thread.

This is where I replied to him. Do not worry no offense taken here at all.

Manuals can be found in archive sites like this one.
Can view any models anything and even see site from a long time ago.
Here is bandido II umax manual
Even though the site is down it's still archived and always will be. Again you can even see the site from years ago as it was archived. But they have every manual you can want.
I'm sorry for the late reply. Work has had me busy. Even too busy to use my detectors :-(
I suggest you click the tesoro logo then bookmark the site. From there you can cruise not only the site as it was but also the site as it has been by year and month. Pretty cool to see how it used to be in earlier internet years
Enjoy!!