Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Interesting test for XP Deus newbies

DirtAngler

If you have read your manual and followed posts on the forum, you probably understand what the reactivity setting can do for your performance. However, to get a really good idea, create a nail board and lay a dime 1/2" from the nail. Now swing your detector over it at your normal swing speed holding the detector 3 to 4 inches above the nail board. Listen to the tones and also watch your numbers. Do this using the same program but try each reactivity setting. It gives you a good idea how different reactivity settings mask and unmask the dime by audio and how it skews your numbers. I haven't tried air testing depth vs. reactivity settings yet but maybe some one else did. I know higher reactivity means less depth but it also increases your audio for hearing masked targets so it's important to consider the area your hunting when choosing your reactivity setting.

I just did an air test using the same program and just changing the reactivity settings using a 10 k gold ring as a target. The difference between a 0 reactivity setting and a 5 reactivity setting resulted in a 4" depth difference for a good clear signal. Now I realize both these tests are air tests and they certainly are different than actual field hunts but they still do have some merit for testing purposes.

I tested the depth/reactivity settings some this weekend on a buried 10" silver dime and 12" silver quarter in my 4, 12, and 18 programs. All are basically the same except for freq, sens at 90 GB 5-10 below ground reading, silencer at 1, disc at 0-10, and reactivity of 0-2 really had no effect, except on the 4 and the others more so at 3-4. I also played with the disc settings and noticed no difference in depth loss, but this is a very neutral, very clean area the coins are in, adding trash to them might make that a different story. I hope this helps someone, and that I am trying to learn this machine correctly. Any input on process or settings would be appreciated by all.

I agree, since a lot of us are fairly new to the Deus, shared info about programs used and setting adjustments could be a big help. Even though what works in your soil might not work in mine, it is still added knowledge. Posts about finds that include depth found, program and settings used, as well as coil choice would be helpful. Some XP Deus full vids in English done in the USA would be great also.

I did some air tests with a silver dime a while back and got pretty much the same results as DirtAngler: about four inches difference between 0 and 5 reactivity. I think I had sensitivity set at around 70. I checked each level, and each one seemed to be an even distance from the last.

However, in a very informative post which you can find here.......
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,1676004,1676004#msg-1676004
.......in-ground results showed only a 4cm difference between levels 0 & 5. I never did an in-ground test of my own but from experience in my moderate Midwest soil, the difference seems closer to what I got in the air test.

While higher reactivity levels can work extremely well in really trashy areas, you have to keep in mind that the depth of your targets will dictate just how high you can set reactivity. If the targets are deeper, you