Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IRON vs. COIN

ggolds5

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a pretty basic problem. I'm still digging far too much junk iron, nails, even foil. I've tried Basic 1, Deus Fast, and Basic 2. I tweaked it a bit at times by raising reactivity to 3 or 4. Iron volume from 0 to 4. I ground balance manually. I pretty much dig any high numbers and still dig a lot of old nails and old rusty iron in areas of cellar holes and old house foundations. I even dug a whole bunch of old cans and bottles with caps. I'm digging about the same stuff as my girlfriend who's new to this and using a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2. Kind of embarrassing. Can someone please give me any configurations you've used that rule out iron and other junk as best as you can. Also, how accurate is the Ferris vs. non-Ferris horse shoe icon on the screen. Looking forward to any help. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to slow down. Basic 1 is great to learn on. Throw a few good targets on the clean ground and listen to them. Good ones will almost always sound much much better. Audio first, screen second.. Learn the sound of the coins.

I'm not sure this will help you any or not but here's what I did. I am new to the Deus also and primarily a coin shooter. Using the Basic 1 program, I scanned all the coins I hunt to see what the VDI numbers are. I set it to 4 tones and then edited the Tones so that the highest tone covers the clad/silver VDI range, set the second highest to cover the flying Eagle & bronze Indian heads, 3rd tone to the mid range VDI's, and the lowest tone to cover iron. I don't see this as a "cure-all" but at least while in the infant stages of learning this unit it helps me to weed out the coins from the trash a bit more. I have hearing problems and have difficulties with discerning the "solid" tones that others are listening for so this helps by listening for the two highest tones and digging. I still dig trash but not nearly as much.

Good luck and remember to keep it fun!

after identifying a potential good sounding target, take note of the vid #, next step is to lower the frequency to 4khz and reanalyze the target. If the vid # goes higher after switching to 4khz, it's probably iron. Iron will also give a broken sound or no sound at all in 4khz. Try sweeping the coil over some coins and you will notice a very smooth sound as opposed to the broken/raspy sound of iron.

You really imo want to hear the sound of iron. It is different sounding for sure. As you learn the machine anything that is wiith or beside the iron will be an alarm to your ears. Biggest suggestion I can give you with virtually any machine, forget the numbers. Let them be a second or third verification of what's in the ground. Really the best machine I've ever used is the Deus. Detect with it by ear is the trick.

Thanks for your response. I'm a little hesitant about changing the tones. Can they be set back to factory default if I want to?. Not sure how to do that. I think your idea is a good one. Do you use Basic 1 mostly?. I also wasn't sure if setting iron volume to 0 was a good idea and reactivity to 4, then in reactivity expert mode set silencer to 3. What do you think?. I love this thing just trying to find the best settings. I found an awesome forest spot with tons of seller holes and very old stone foundations and I'm digging some very cool stuff but a lot of old iron. The ground there is almost like a dirt/moss/fluffy kind of stuff. It's odd. I ground balance manually and usually it balances around 90.

ggolds5 said:
... a good idea and reactivity to 4, then in reactivity expert mode set silencer to 3. What do you think?
This can be main reason of your troubles. With such a settings you practically pick-up only overload signals. If it is so, you are not able to hear the difference between iron / non iron.
I suggest to set reactivity to 2 and silencer max 2. Swing slowly - 2 feet/second and you will be able to discover power of Deus.
Good luck

ggolds5 said:
I'm a little hesitant about changing the tones. Can they be set back to factory default if I want to?. Not sure how to do that.

You can change any settings on any program and after you turn off the detector and turn it back on again the programs will be set on factory programming if you don

I was thinking that my next hunt might be Basic 2. I was thinking of changing sensitivity to 90, Reactivity to 2 instead of 1, keep the silencer on 4 as default for Basic 2. Also default for Basic 2 is the frequency of 8k. Does that sound reaosnable?. Thanks for your help. Much appeciated.

Go down with silencer. If you change reactivity to 2 deus will automatically adjust silencer to 2 and it is a good value

Do you think Reactivity of 2 silencer of 2 is best. Or Reactiviy of 1 silencer at 4 as the default for Basic 2?. I hunt in a great spot but a lot of junk there due to loggers. It will also let me set Reactivity to 2 and silencer to 4 if I manually do it but sounds like thats not a good idea?

If you're having trouble with iron falsing, go ahead and turn up the silencer until you get the hang of the machine....then you can start turning it down. While you CAN override the reactivity default, it's supposed to reduce the effectiveness of the reactivity setting if you turn the silencer too high. Having reactivity at 4 is a bit high for most sites. I usually don't go above 3 if I'm using 18kHz. If I'm using one of the lower frequencies - which come with a progressively wider coil footprint the lower you go - I will go up to 4 or 5, but that's for the kind of sites where you're getting into that "machine gun iron/trash" scenario. You'll do better with a lower reactivity level at most sites. Try sticking with one of the factory programs at first until you get more familiar with the Deus. Basic 1 or 2 are both good to start out with.

My coin shooting program is basic-2 8 kHz.
I have Iron volume at 3, so I can hear it coming through in a target.
Don't mess about with silencer and reactivity, just leave them factory spec.

Save the program with a sens of 50 and ground balance tracking.

Now here is how I set it up when starting a hunt.
Switch it on, have a few sweeps, let the tracking get a feel for the ground you're in.
Then raise the sens 10 points at a time.
When you approach max sens for that spot either 2 things will happen.
She'll start to false signaling a target, but not repeatable OR start falsing Iron tone.
Drop Sens 5 points untill the unit is running stable with the occasional false.

The perfect coin sound is sweet and 90 degree repeatable, but they will take on other sound patterns.
Run your disc up just enough so the single sliver of foil is absent from your digs.

The rest is pulltabs, crowncaps, bottlecaps, coins, rings, .... etc, etc,
If you want the cash, ... dig the trash!

There is some very good advice here. I have made it a habit to never look at the VDI number until I decide to dig. Coins will have a very smooth sharp tone compared to junk like caps and iron. The best way to learn these tones is to practice with buried coins and junk. I still dig a significant amount of junk testing my ears and looking for the glimmer of gold, and am seldom surprised with what I dig. This machine has a very different learning curve than most other detectors. I would use the basic 1 program as it is and learn the tones first. After you are confident in identifying coins by tone, then start making adjustments to suite the ground. Decrease the reactivity, increase the sensitivity, decrease the discrimination, and try the different frequencies. This is a powerful machine when in the hand of someone who has taken the time to understand it. I bounce back and forth from the basic 1 to basic 2 set on 4khz to discriminate iron. I agree with HH. Dig the trash for the cash! The actual learning curve is short but steep. Good luck and stick with it.

Chiloquin