Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it possible - -

A

Anonymous

that some people are not getting to know thier machines ? I read a lot of guys who are unhappy with the Fishers that are many years removed from mine. I still use a 1266 and am very happy with it. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have dug 68 solid gold items out of tot lots.

Is it possible that the man behind the machine is as important as the machine?
Give your Fisher a chance - learn it and dont be so eager to get the "newer" one thats suposedly better. Steve in so az

I have to agree. I used a 1266x for years & did very well with it (I wish I still had it sometimes). I actually had a couple guys with newer more expensive "multi-frequency units" tell me I was using "outdated technology" one day I used my 1266x :punch But at the end of the day they couldn't figure out why I dug more :blush So, I do think "skill of the operator" surely helps, & can be half the battle. With the internet forums getting so popular, & detector classifieds & E-Bay making it easy to buy & sell detectors, lots of folks get the itch to "try 'em all". I think it's better to really learn the language of one unit & stick with it. The Coin$trike for example really got a bad rap with the 'try & sell' guys. You can't learn this very different unit in an hour (some guys needed 30-40 hr's on it). It took me quite some time, & lots of signals to hear tonal differences for example. Many dig lots of iron at first & get frustrated & curse it :ranting BUt, after several hours I noticed iron sounded more hollow as opposed to a crisp coin tone. The 1266x also has a sound language that is learned over time too & the "pops + clicks" are routine. Maybe it can be said all detectors need to be learned sound-wise? Shoot, the 1266x still may be the deepest Fisher ever, & the "relic" unit that many other brands are still copying the trigger, batts under arm cup, etc.
HH, Bill

The coil just becomes a reference point. I love the DD coils just for that reason, but it holds true for concentric coils too. You learn the language of the machine, then you learn the field shape your machine and coil puts out and so begin to get some finesse in your detecting. Almost like learning how to caress unseen metal in the ground :chase :D

Happy Coin$triking :lol

Good words Bill - It took me about a year to really learn the 1266. We are such a 'want it now' society that some people just dont want to work for things, Steve

I usted to play more golf then detecting, & I would always see guys spend like $800 on a new fangled, oversized titanium club to tee off with. They figured spending the money on "new technology" would instantly improve their score. When actually they overspent, & may even set their game back having to re-learn new equipment. More practice with the old equipment would have been a better way to improve. Same with treasure hunting, I think.....

I'll close with another quick 1266x story :blush About 5-6 years ago I showed up at a competition hunt staged on a beach. It was a typical hunt to find buried coins & tokens for prizes. Well, I show up with my trusty, beat-up looking 1266x :wave While waiting for the hunt to start a couple guys, one a dealer, asks if i'm "really gonna use that?". I say, "yea, why this is all I use." The dealer guy tells me the 1266x "don't run on the beach" & offers me one of his newer units he has in his car. I say, "No thanks, I'll live & die with this one". Well, when all was said & done...guess what "outdated" detector took first prize for finding the most total coins + tokens?? :razz :goodnight
HH, Bill