Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is "repeatability" the key

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if a signal that repeats regardless of the direction of the sweep is the key to identifying targets. I don't mean the VDI numbers, but the sound. I have been playing with my MXT inside since I bought it a month ago. Today, some of the snow melted in the front yard and I had to give it a go. The bad news is that I never found any coins. The good news is that I must have done a good job detecting the same yard the past 15 years. I know in air tests, the audible signal from good targets is the same no matter which way the coil passes over them. Is it the same in the ground? The reason I asked is because, although I did not dig a coin today, I did dig some holes. One of them fooled me with part of a 32 cartridge about 6 inches that sounded good all directions and said it was a quarter one direction and a zinc cent the other. But the other signals I dug would sound solid one way and break up the other direction. Most would read high numbers one direction and low numbers the other. Is this typical? Will I ever find a good target that will read differently depending on the direction of the sweep? Thanks in advance.

Digger,
For the most part yes, a good target will have a good repeatable beep regaurdless of direction of the swwep. There will always be exceptions. Most targets that have a mixed tone are junk, I said most because a good target next to a tab will not sound or give the same readings as one out in the open. Looks like with all this modern tech. it would be easier to determine trash from treasure but the only sure fire method I have found is to dig !!!

With experience and learning how to work the target area you will get better at [guessing]. depending on the mood I am in, sometimes I will work the target from all directions and then dig it up to see what it is, then log it in the back of my mind. of course with the start of a new season I will need some refresher courses, by the end of the year I will have honed my technique down to a science.