Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

John, is the ATX the only PI using the multi pulse technique?

The Garrett Infinium is also and API (advanced Pulse Induction) multi frequency Pulse Induction detector.

Technically speaking a square wave pulse is made up of a multitude of "frequencies" on the transmit side. How the return pulse is processed is what Garrett calls API. At least that is my understanding as is the process by which the hi-lo. lo-hi tones can be generated.

and I'm not sure if that is what Garrett means. Could it be pulses that last varying periods of time?
(Also, can the ground tracking be turned off?)

Frequency "selection" is automatically selected via the Frequency Scan selection for the most quiet frequency. The user has no control of which Detection Frequency is used.

The Discrimination adjustment is user controlled and adjusts the timing period of the return signal that is looked at.

The square wave is a complex waveform is a made up of a series of sine waves. The square wave contains a fundamental and a series of ODD HARMONICS; that is harmonics which are odd number multiples of the fundamental (x3 x5 x7 etc.) These are called the 3rd harmonic, 5th harmonic etc.

I have to believe, from my electronics background, the ATX and Infinium both have the amplitude of the odd harmonics frequencies (in multiple groups) set to different "power" factors which will alter the shape of the pulse and thus reduce some of the mineralized soil factors.
The pulse is not just a simple on-off (0 or 1) state. I would also say that the Detection Frequency is actually a Repetition Rate (pulses per second) as opposed to a frequency (cycles per second). See below diagram.

From Garrett:

Detection Frequency 730 pulses per second, adjustable

MULTI-FREQUENCY (PULSE INDUCTION)
Detector that divides its power into multiple frequencies to overcome the effects of mineralized soil and saltwater content. Discrimination and Target ID capabilities are limited.Detection Frequency

Frequency Scan: Use this function to obtain the quietest operating frequency, Operating near power lines, other detectors, fluorescent lights, etc. may cause interference. To check, hold searchcoil stationary away from any metal and listen for signal interference (i,e, noisy operation),