Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just bought Compass coinscanner pro 2

james1969

Hello to you all!

I just bought a coinscanner pro 2 on Ebay,it came with an 8 and a 16 inch coil,I bought for Iorn infested sites here in Europe as my Minelab Quattro while fantastic on clean ground and the beach is not so good in iorn as the recovery speed is very slow.

Can anyone give me some good tips on how best to use this detector,is the 16 inch coil deep,also some tips on ground balancing would be great.

It should be interesting to compare the two detectors,a very well known detectorist on the UK called Norfolk wolf rates the the compass
as the best detector made for iorn infested sites,he has found 2 hoards of celtic bronze age gold coins with his compass!

Anyway great to be here and starting out my Analog detecting experience!
James
Ireland

James, the Compass line of detectors are excellent in iron. I use the Gold Scanner Pro when hunting old lumber mill ghost town sites and logging camps. These areas are infested with large and small iron and my GSP cuts thru these areas with ease. Best iron discriminating detector I've ever used and as far as iron masking, I've dug old coins and tokens mixed in with rusted nails and other objects many times since I've owned mine. I dug a seated dime recently at an old mill site with a large rusted door hindge in the same hole with a good solid signal at 6 inches. I think you'll like it.

James, I carried the scanner series before their factory burned some years back. If I'm not mistaken, the Pro 11 has a selectable three tone audio and a back light meter. If that is the machine you have, I found it to be very good in heavy iron. I also noticed that it seemed to equal or surpassed many of my other machines identifying at reasonable depth. Another thing that comes to mind, is that it seemed to love tiny targets. I was once in a area where some #6 bird shot came to rest and thought I would loose my mind. The lead targets were so small that I could not see them in the hole but got strong readings. She was a busy little machine and I can't imagine much of anything getting past it. Don't leave batteries in this machine for extended periods as it does not have a separate battery box. If the batteries should leak, you will have a mess inside the machine. Check when you receive it to make sure this hasn't happened with the previous owner. Several that people tried to trade in to me were abused in this way.

Sounds great guys,can't wait to try it out on my old sites and see what the Quattro missed,quite a lot close to iorn I guess!