Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just for giggles

A

Anonymous

Well it is raining here in Arizona, so I thought it would be interesting to post a story on somethig I did while metal detecting just for giggles.
I have used most brands of detectors, I started out with a Lobo ST that I bought real cheap. I had decided to dig every target and believe me the LST found a bunch, that little rascal about wore me out.
One day while working in the Arizona gold field I was in a bend of an old creek bed and hit a good size target, I dug down about a foot and could not find the target, so I decided to hunt other areas. The finds were not very good so I decided to go back to the big target, part of me said don't wast your time and another part of me said if I don't dig it up I would allways be wondering what it was.
I spent the next two hours digging like a badger, and moving large river rocks. I hit something solid about 28" deep that turned out to be the metal top of a empty 55 gallon metal drum. The fruit of my labor was dirty clothes. Hope this brings a smile to your day. TB

I would love to see a VLF for prospecting that could reliably distinuish iron from the goodies with great depth. A prospecting detector with the concept "If you can detect it- You can identify it" would be a godsend for our hobby.
George

Have you tried a Discovery Treasure Baron Goldtrax? In all metal mode it has an LED that lights and it gives a staccato audio response when swinging over iron. George Payne designed it to keep prospectors from having to dig so much iron when looking for nuggets and while it can't match the depth of the Minelab 3000 GP it's as deep as, or deeper than, other vlf gold detectors. It also has a disc mode and is a darn good relic and coin detector. There are some field tests and info about the Goldtrax on the Baron Page.
JB

JB I been reading alot about the treasure Barons since the new chip came out, but I have not seen very many for sale. Sounds like they would be an awsome machine with the upgrades. Mr Bill had a good write up on the one he is playing with, but cold Maine weather is keeping him next to the fire place. It will be interesting to see how it does when the weather warms up.
Do you have to buy a used one and do the upgrades or can you buy one that already has the upgrades in it.
TB

<html><head><link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.boomspeed.com/cleotus/findmall1.ico"></head>
Discovery is initially producing a limited run of new models with the Cointrax II chip, if they sell well or the demand is there I'm sure they will continue production. They won't have interchangeable front module capability but will be in a lighter package and have the same performance as the chip installed in an existing Cointrax module. I've had a Baron with the Cointrax module for several years and with the original chip it had great depth and good all around performance in our mild ground, with the Cointrax II chip it has better performance and more depth when using the Standard Discrimination Motion mode with DeepSearch activated. With the Cointrax II chip I don't think there's a VLF out there that goes any deeper, if as deep, in our mild ground, I've used or hunted alongside just about all of them, and if ground conditions will allow using the rear mounted DeepHunter module along with the Cointrax II chip none of them will touch it. You've read Mr. Bill's posts about the Barons I'm sure, he's telling it exactly like it is about the Cointrax II. Unlike some who promote and hype certain detectors, neither Mr. Bill or I are getting anything at all for what we post about the Barons. We have absolutely no reason to exaggerate their capabilities. They are not the easiest to use, but they are exceptional performers for those willing to learn them.
I started the Baron Page just for myself and a couple of online friends who used Barons about three years ago, it kinda grew into what it is now. I was asked to test the different version prototype chips and volunteered to add the info to the website. If you're interested in a Baron, check out the Baron Page, it has a lot of tests and info about them.
JB