Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got my Racer

woodchiphustler

Will test it this weekend at a pounded site. Well made, lower rod is longer so I do not need a tall man rod. All metal reminds me of a T2. Easy to navigate the controls. Weight is well balanced.

Hey woodchip got mine yesterday I also like the long rods. I just had about a hour at my old picnic grounds did manage a couple old 32 rim fire cases about 3 or 4 inches deep. Good luck this weekend. I think I'm gonna like this racer.

the more you use it. I think that the middle rod is longer than typical as the lower rods are close to an 'average' length, but the result is the same. I am 6', when I can force myself to stand straight, and I don't hunt with an extended rod-length way out in front of me. As most manufacturers suggest, I keep the coil about 12"-18" in front of my leading foot and find these detectors to balance well and work even better.

I look forward to reading responses from both of you. It's 6:11 am here and will be light in an hour and a half so I am headed out for some Racer hunting ... if the high winds and raid stay away.

Monte

Monte said:
the more you use it. I think that the middle rod is longer than typical as the lower rods are close to an 'average' length, but the result is the same. I am 6', when I can force myself to stand straight, and I don't hunt with an extended rod-length way out in front of me. As most manufacturers suggest, I keep the coil about 12"-18" in front of my leading foot and find these detectors to balance well and work even better.

I look forward to reading responses from both of you. It's 6:11 am here and will be light in an hour and a half so I am headed out for some Racer hunting ... if the high winds and raid stay away.

Monte

I am sure I will like it. Good luck on your hunt.

Boy I'm glad some of you folks are getting your machines. Mine was supposed to be delivered today but got delayed until tomorrow. I had to leave town today, so I left a note for the ups guy to just put it in my pickup when he delivers and I 'll have to wait till Sat. to get it now. :angry: LOL I like to think I'm a grown adult......but it sure suks waiting for a new toy !! and now I gotta wait another 2 days.

Well, I was supposed to get my Racer today (March 25, that is), and I actually did
get it. Not until about 5:30 PM, but at least there was some daylight left.

I put it together, did some quick testing in my yard (which has terrible EMI from
my power lines and my neighbor's), so I proceeded to a nearby park and then
to the beach.

No incredible finds yet, but I'm just learning and practicing so far.
I did get a 1941 wheat cent and a 1968 Bahama 10c coin at the park,
and two rings and a heavy chain at the beach, but they appear to be
cheap junk.

The Racer is light weight and well balanced. I was able to extend the rods to
a comfortable length for me (I'm 6'6" tall, so this wasn't a sure thing).
So far, I'm happy. I'm looking forward to learning what I'm doing and finding
some good stuff. (And using the 5-inch coil, which I received but haven't used yet.)

--Tom

I tried out my 5.2" "hockey puck" coil with my Racer in an old park today.
Boy, that coil is really tiny out there at the end of the rod! But it certainly does work.

I managed to find two 1940's wheat cents (1940-s and 1944-s) and a
1944 Mexican 20 centavos coin. The wheat cents were right next to
junk signals, so the small coil presumably helped me pick them out
from positions where larger coils might find them masked. However,
the big 20 centavos coin (bigger than a US quarter) gave a very
strong signal and had nothing nearby. I don't know how other people
missed it.

El said:
Have you tried it on the salt water beach yet?

Barely. When I was at the beach, I was on the dry sand,
using the 11" coil. Right before I left, I went to the wet sand,
but the tide was nearly at its highest point for the day, so I
couldn't really do much in the wet sand without getting
soaked. However, I darted out on the wet sand a few
times (between breakers) just to get a feel for it.
It seemed to work the way I've seen in videos, but I
didn't hit any signals. I'll give it a real test in the next day
or two.

Friday night I tried the Racer with 11" coil for a little while on the wet salt sand.
Once again, the tide was near its high point, but I had a little room to do some
detecting between waves. I discovered the ground balance changes quite
a bit depending on just how wet the sand is. That is, if a wave has just receded,
so the sand is totally saturated where I ground balance, I get a much different
number than if I go just a few feet farther from the water and ground balance at
a position that hasn't had a wave over it for 5 or 10 minutes. And I'm pretty sure
you need a good GB in order to get the best depth from the Racer, so I plan to
re-GB frequently on the wet sand. Fortunately, it's quick and easy to do.

Anyway, I only hunted the wet sand for 20-30 minutes. I got good signals from
a quarter, two dimes, and a bottle cap. The coins gave fairly steady TID numbers.
The bottle cap gave a higher TID number than they usually give me in the dry sand,
and it fluctuated more than the coins did. Even so, I was surprised it was a
bottle cap when I dug it. I was using beach mode with default settings, by the way.

I'm still a newbie with the Racer, so I know I have a lot to learn. But I can feel that
I'm getting more comfortable with it and making good progress each day I use it.
(And that's EVERY day, of course, since it's a fun new toy.)

Boothbay said:
These reports are great. Is the racer coil waterproof so you can detect in the water? Thanks.

Thanks. I worry that I'm hijacking this thread with all the posts I've added to it.
Maybe I should start a new one, especially if the original poster thinks it's going
in the wrong direction from his original post. But I thought I was adding to the
same discussion, so I kept my comments here.

And yes, as has been stated, the Racer coil is waterproof. I haven't actually
used it under water at the beach, but I have rinsed it off (the coil only) in the freshwater beach
showers before I put it in my car.