Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just picked up a used CZ-21

Geobound

Well the title says it all I guess.

I am a CTX user and have always wanted an Excel II, but a deal came up on a used CZ-21 that I just couldn't say no to.

First thing I noticed is that my CTX feels like a Deus compared to the CZ-21!! :heh: I can't believe how heavy this sucker is!!

I don't plan on using it on land, so perhaps that will make the weight feel a little less.

I hunt with almost total exclusion fresh water, so it will be interesting to see how this does once the warm weather shows up.

If anybody hunts just fresh water and wants to share some tips as to how best set this machine up, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks,

John

Hi John,
as a former CZ-20 user I can safely say that you have a fine unit for hunting either fresh or salt water environments. I used mine a lot on regular turf hunts when the weather was bad also.
I definitely suggest that you invest in the chest mount set up as it is an arm saver and makes hunting much more enjoyable.
Oh, I also suggest if using discrimination accept all including iron as it saves a great deal of time chasing one way signals.
& get a good scoop.:detecting:
Good luch with it, & HH.
Drew.

You are definitely going to need to chest or hip mount the control box. I prefer the hip mount (personal preference). I always hunt in auto-tune and switch to 0 when I get a signal. Auto tune allows you to slow down and hear faint signals. Dig all medium and high tones and most of the deep ones that give multiple signals. Run volume at 10, ground balance between 4 and 6. Sensitivity as high as possible. My CZ20 runs stable at around 8 and my CZ21 closer to 9. I hunt fresh, brackish, and salt. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Buying water units used is risky...years ago bought a used water unit that had leaked and failed after a trip or two and was costly to repair...

I actually used a CZ-20 for inland coin hunting. It was heavy but I was Younger and stronger and could swing it all day then No problem. I found some of My Deepest coins with it. I love to hunt by tones only. I wish Fisher would have made a Tone only lighter land version type CZ. A meter can talk You outta of digging a lot of targets. You get the Modulation set to where everything over 6" is soft and sweet You're good to go even in a farley trashy area.

Great machine. I use it almost exclusively for diving. I hip mount it wading and diving. Never touch the pinpoint button. Discrimination at 0 unless lots of iron and I put it on one. NEVER go higher. Ground on 10 and sensitivity as far up as you can without it falseing a lot. The higher the sensitivity the deeper it will detect.

First let me apologize for not replying earlier to this thread, but if the truth be known I forgot I had started it!?! :blush:

There is some really good and useful information above, so as soon as the snow melts and the water warms up I will give them a go.

Scubadetector, I noticed that you said you hip mount it when you dive.........risky or no?

Is it difficult (heavy, fatiguing) to keep it mounted to the rod when underwater, or is it doable?

Mine didn't come with a hip mount kit, but I'm sure one can be had for $20 - $30, or made up even if needs must?

"never touch the pinpoint button"?? Is that because it detunes the target or something? I'm curious as to why you said that?

Thanks again everybody I appreciate your replies.

John

Hip mount consists of a belt loop and a web belt. I use it all the time wading and diving. Been doing it for almost 20 years and no problems. Pinpoint is useless. Once you know the machine it is very easy to tell where it beeps both wading and diving. Never put it on the rod. The thing is a tank and as heavy as one. I have two CZ-20's an 8 and a 10.5" and I have two CZ-21's, also an 8 and a 10.5 inch. Great machines

Okay so it's like my other machines then in terms of pinpointing, I was just thinking that underwater and the pinpoint did something different?

I've used my CTX and AT Pro wading, so I'm fine with that process.......scuba on the other hand??

I got certified last year for the purpose of dive detecting and was warned about having things tethered to your body. I'm mainly doing beaches and can't imagine what would get caught up that would cause me problems, but still I wanted to be cautious.

There are also a few boat launches and docks near me that I know things have been dropped at, so that's where I will focus my energies.

Really looking forward to adding this dimension to my hunting, so whatever I can learn before the ice melts the better. LOL.....

You will love the CZ-21John. I use mine in Lake Ontario and Lake Erie with good results. I use the bobbing method to GB and run the sensitivity around 6-7. I always hunt in Autotune and then discriminate by turning the dial to 0 and very slowly sweep over the target listening for the mid to high tone. The key is going slow and be prepared to dig deep lol. If your pulling up bobby pins your CZ-21 is right in its sweet spot!!

BTW...I chest mount my unit.

Hey Paulie I just aw this!

So many forums, not enough brain power to remember where I posted them. :heh:

The previous owner lost the mounting plate, so I kind of made up my own out of some leftover plastic siding. It works surprisingly well as a hip mount, but I'd be happier with a real mounting plate.

Do you dive with yours, or do you just wade into the water with it?

Geobound said:
Well the title says it all I guess.

I am a CTX user and have always wanted an Excel II, but a deal came up on a used CZ-21 that I just couldn't say no to.

First thing I noticed is that my CTX feels like a Deus compared to the CZ-21!! :heh: I can't believe how heavy this sucker is!!

I don't plan on using it on land, so perhaps that will make the weight feel a little less.

I hunt with almost total exclusion fresh water, so it will be interesting to see how this does once the warm weather shows up.

If anybody hunts just fresh water and wants to share some tips as to how best set this machine up, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks,

John

I was fixing to start a thread on the CZ20. I just picked up one after I saw an Excaliber 2 at a pawn shop recently actually. I have read all of the response to the OP thread. Mine will probably be here next week. i am looking forward to it. I do not even live near the beach but am thinking of hitting some creels locally just to get my feet wet with it. Then maybe one day when I move to Florida, I will know the unit good enough to take her out and beachcomb with it. If anyone wants to chime in about the pinpoint button that I have read about on the cz20 please speak up. I read that they are prone to leaking??? And what did some of you guys do to resolve that issue??

I am curious. I am not interested in sending it in for the upgrade to the cz21. I could probably coat the pinpoint button with silicone and all I think. But what did some of you do?

I use my CZ21 hip mounted, you can get the hip mount attachment for about $25 well worth every penny.
Great machine, hope you get to hunt in water that machine loves to swim, lol.