Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kruzer Lower Rods

Tom Slick

Received my Kruzer accessory coils, the 5x9.5" DD, 5" round DD, and the 7" round concentric. I like having my extra coils on their own lower rods but kinda hated spending $30.00 for each Kruzer lower rod so I ordered three Racer 2 lower rods at $16.95 each. The only difference being the Racer rod weigh 4 oz each and the Kruzer rods weigh 2.2 oz each. I like a light weight detector as much as the next guy, but the Kruzer is light enough that I can add 2 oz to it without issue. I put the Kruzer rod on the 7x11" standard coil and the three smaller coils all have the Racer rods mounted. The Coils and Lower Rods all came with coil bolts and washers so I have plenty of spares.

I did the same thing Tom, I kinda understand the cost difference with the lower rods but the 30.00 I had to pay for the headphone adapter seems a little steep.

Glad the R2 lower rod works, I have an extra one to repurpose :thumbup:

Would like to try that 7" concentric at some iron infested sites.

Brian - I'm finding that I prefer the 5x9" DD and then the 5" round DD for the Iron infested sites. My 7" concentric does discriminate better but it can't unmask as well as the DD coils. My 7" is going to be used where the trash isn't too bad and where I need to make as little impact on the soil as possible so here's my coil criteria

5" DD - unmasking in the most extreme iron infestation
5" X 9.5" DD - unmasking in trashy aluminum and iron sites where more coverage is wanted
7" round concentric - unmasking in park and lawn sites (better pin pointing and bottle cap rejection)
7" X 11" Standard DD - Large open areas, soccer fields, beaches, etc.

Thanks Tom, I'll hold off on getting the 7" concentric for now.

I have really liked the 7,5" x 4" DD on the Impact and Multi Kruzer, killer in iron and trashy relic sites and covers more ground than the little five incher. I like that it's a closed loop design, really great for hunting under/around sagebrush where the open loop design coils always get tangled up.

I just got the 7" concentric but now am having 2nd thoughts. Maybe the 9.5x5 DD would be better since the site I'm primarily hunting right now has a lot of iron masking deep coins. Also, like CalCobra, I really love the 7.5x4 on the R2 and wonder why it doesn't get more love.

I also liked the 4X7.5" on the Impact but for the Racer 2 I preferred the CORs Shrew 4X7" for the most Iron infested sites.

... but only for common urban Coin Hunting applications or some older sites where trash isn't too close, and especially where iron nails and such are well spaced. In dense iron contamination on a tough challenge test I did, that coil failed miserably on the Impact and that's why they brought out the 5" DD coil. That brought the performance up on par with the Racer 2 and Relic using their 5" DD coils. The 5" DD is the only coil I use in really dense iron contaminated sites on the Impact and Relic, and I use the Impact's 5" DD on the Multi-Kruzer as well [size=small](until I get a 5" DD and 7" Concentric for it)[/size].

As for working a site with iron masking challenges, I have found the 7" Concentric to work OK on the Racer 2 and Impact ,and in doing some side-by-side testing I like the 5X9½ open-frame DD for more open areas with low to moderate trash levels and to get slightly better coverage over the 7" Concentric. If it gets really ugly with a lot of iron and it is closely spaced, on goes the 5" DD coil.

Monte

Monte - I agree with you 100% but I only had the 4X7.5" DD for my Impact. I never bought the 5"DD because I had one for the Racer 2 along with the 4x7" Shrew and an OOR so I was pretty set for small coils on the Racer 2.

Search coil selection can be a little 'picky' on occasion because we try to blend together what size we might like, the type of coil we might want, and then have limitations on what is available for certain makes and models. I have and like the new open design 5X9½ DD on the Impact, but seldom mount it up because I have a Relic as well as a CoRe that already keep one mounted for full-time use, so I have 15 kHz and 19 kHz covered with that coil. The trade-off is that I keep one of my Racer 2's and main-use Impact at-the-ready with a 7" Concentric mounted :) ... but that is because they didn't/won't make a 7" Concentric or a CoRe or Relic. :(

I just like to tailor my detector outfit with the best picks from my search coil selection based upon what and where I will be hunting, then keep the other Accessory Coils ready-to-go and mounted on their own spare lower rods. Some are even on a lower and middle rod to make coil swaps afield even faster.

Monte