Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kruzer target ID?

Kapok

Ok, so I've put in probably 40-50 hours in on my Kruzer and it's a super-deep, flexible detector, and I really like it. However, I'd like to get others' reactions to its ID accuracy. I'm finding it to be somewhat mystifying at times. My setup is 4 tones, ground 65-75, not much EMI, updated firmware; stock or 9.5x5 coil.

Below are some examples

ID less accurate after removing the plug - High tone, target ID jumping around in the 40s-50's. 99/100 it's a pull tab, but for grins I dig it anyway. I cut the plug, rescan the hole. I get a number in the 80s. Sweet! Dig it out, it's a deep pulltab. So the ID was right the first time, but in my experience, it should be more accurate after exposing the target.

High tone on a low conductivity target - On occasion I've gotten a high tone on a low conductivity target (20-25). In these cases, the target ID was right, but the tone was wrong.

ID jumpiness - The ID almost never locks onto a number unless it's a shallow quarter or dime--otherwise, it jumps around quite a bit--say 8-10 digits in either direction. This is not unlike my Racer 2.

I don't expect the target ID to be the sole indicator, since tone is most important. But it should provide helpful information on whether to dig or not. Am I unrealistic in expecting a bit more accuracy? I'm wondering if it's a factor of the Kruzer's expanded ID range and the detector is just providing an extremely high degree of information about the target and the surrounding soil.

Again, I'm not hating on the Kruzer--read my posts and you'll see I've had good success with it. But I'm curious about other people's experiences with it.

Kapok, I have had similar experiences with the Impact. I have noticed that some coins on edge or near trash the machine gives different numbers but that is expected.

High tone, then I dig up a nickle - this happened a few times to me. I don’t understand that either.

Get a good tone and it’s a tab. Somehow the aluminum tab is interpreted as a coin, crazy I know.

I wonder if this is only happening in the US?

I would like to hear from a few in Europe if this happens to them or not. That might give us a clue as to why it’s happening.

Tony in NJ

I almost always hunt in 3-tone and often ground balance around 65 also. (The reason I don't hunt in 4 tone is that it is too jumpy and falsey for me for coin shooting)

I have probably a similar amount of time, mostly doing coin shooting in parks with 11" coil. 3 tone is pretty stable and gets to around 5-6 inches.

- Clad Quarters pretty much hit around 87-91 for me down to 6".
- Clad Dimes 79 - 82
- Clad Nickels hit at 29 - 30
- Copper Penny 79-80
- Zinc Penny 66-68
- Die cast cars 85 - 86.
- Foil almost always hits at 21-22.
- Aluminum is all over the place. Smashed cans pinpoint at 2 inches, but are at 8 inches and kinda jumpy anywhere from 70's to 80's. Square tabs are anywhere from 27 - 32 and jumpy.
- Big iron is often 91 or higher

In my experience so far, if it is jumpy ID in 3 tone, its not worth digging. Today I was out with the 7" concentric for the first time and digging more mid tones than normal and was surprised to get a 22 bullet about 7-8 inches down. It rang up in low 60's, if I remember right. So far in parks, I rarely dig anything that is below 23, or between 33 and 65.

I hope this is helpful, even though it is not a direct comparison.

CS

coin-star said:
I almost always hunt in 3-tone and often ground balance around 65 also. (The reason I don't hunt in 4 tone is that it is too jumpy and falsey for me for coin shooting)

I have probably a similar amount of time, mostly doing coin shooting in parks with 11" coil. 3 tone is pretty stable and gets to around 5-6 inches.

- Clad Quarters pretty much hit around 87-91 for me down to 6".
- Clad Dimes 79 - 82
- Clad Nickels hit at 29 - 30
- Copper Penny 79-80
- Zinc Penny 66-68
- Die cast cars 85 - 86.
- Foil almost always hits at 21-22.
- Aluminum is all over the place. Smashed cans pinpoint at 2 inches, but are at 8 inches and kinda jumpy anywhere from 70's to 80's. Square tabs are anywhere from 27 - 32 and jumpy.
- Big iron is often 91 or higher

In my experience so far, if it is jumpy ID in 3 tone, its not worth digging. Today I was out with the 7" concentric for the first time and digging more mid tones than normal and was surprised to get a 22 bullet about 7-8 inches down. It rang up in low 60's, if I remember right. So far in parks, I rarely dig anything that is below 23, or between 33 and 65.

I hope this is helpful, even though it is not a direct comparison.

CS

Coin-star, my tid matches yours. For me it's pretty stable. The only thing I get fooled by every now and then is a deep smashed soda can. I probably hunt in 4 tone more than you do unless it's trashy. There is a substantial difference in depth between 3 and 4 tone. A deep corroded zinc will give a 50's reading sometimes.

Kapok your detector appears to be less stable than mine and coin-star's. Have you emailed Dilek about it ?

kajunman said:
Kapok your detector appears to be less stable than mine and coin-star's. Have you emailed Dilek about it ?
I have not. In general, 3 tones is much more predictable, but I tend to use 4 tones more because it seems to have more blend/bleed and overall provides more audio information. I use 3 tones in high-trash situations and/or when targets are on the shallower side. I am taking the Kruzer out for a hunt tonight, so I'm going to do some additional comparisons of 3 vs 4 tones in situations like I described above.

There was an interesting thread on here a while back that mentioned 3 tone at 89 gain couldn't get a deeper signal, and then they bumped up the gain to 90 and it could read it. I had a target yesterday that was very scratchy at 89 gain and very clear at 90 gain, so I think there is some processing change that occurs once you hit 90 gain and higher in 3 tone.

I wonder if 3 tone above 89 gain might be nearly as deep as 4 tone?

CS

coin-star said:
There was an interesting thread on here a while back that mentioned 3 tone at 89 gain couldn't get a deeper signal, and then they bumped up the gain to 90 and it could read it. I had a target yesterday that was very scratchy at 89 gain and very clear at 90 gain, so I think there is some processing change that occurs once you hit 90 gain and higher in 3 tone.

CS
Yes, I have experimented with that but don't have a definitive answer yet. It's not just a matter of depth per se, but overall more audio information I get in 4 tones as compared to 3 tones. 3 tones is more like silent search until you get your coil over an acceptable target, but I'll do more comparisons tonight and see how it goes. I'll try to do some videos as well.

coin-star said:

CS

It's the reactivity speed. With a gain of 89 or less, the reactivity speed is ultra fast, but at the cost of depth. Once you hit a gain of 90+ it returns to normal reactivity speed.

4-TONE mode is deeper then 3-TONE and fast enough for my iron infested sites, but 3-TONE at gain 89 was noticeably faster, probably the fastest detector out there with that setting.

I wasn’t able to test my Kruzer today—I got into the field and my headphones were dead, and I’d left the headphone adapter at home. Fortunately I had my trusty Racer 2 with me. I can run that pretty much wide open in 2 tones, and it’s not jittery at all. With my Kruzer, anything over 70 in 2 or 4 tones produces way too much chatter to tolerate for very long.