Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Hunt...Some Silver

Blind Squirrel

Howdy---
I was on dialysis last night and I like to listen to Coast2Coastam when I'm tied to the machine. Wouldn't you know? The topic was "Unearthed Treasure." Well, after 40 years of metal detecting I could probably talk about my finds for hours hahah. As it turned out they took my call with about 10 minutes left in the show. I had to talk fast but I had enough time to talk about the joy that this hobby has given me and of course I did mention some of my favorite finds. Surprisingly, I was the only caller who spoke of metal detecting finds! Other callers spoke of records that they found at garage sales or in the trash or rare books that they found etc. Anyway, that reminded me that I was remiss in posting, here, my latest finds.
There was a house that I delivered Meals on Wheels to about 15 years ago. In my travels, I passed by it last week and found that the house had been removed. All that remained was sidewalk, foundation and a couple old trees. The first chance that I had, I went back there with my V3i and was rewarded with 6 silver coins, some wheat cents and of course a bit of clad and memorials. In the silver my favorite was the 1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter it has some stains on it that I'll try to remove. Here in Texas, Mexican coins are common finds, I think that it is cool though, to have dug 2 Mexican 20 Centavos coins - one a .720 silver 1937 and the other a 1943 copper. It was fun to get out swinging the coil again but I sure do miss my old hunting buddy Kenneth who passed away in February . Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• 27-Dlsq&m's.jpg
    27-Dlsq&m's.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 136
Howdy---
I was on dialysis last night and I like to listen to Coast2Coastam when I'm tied to the machine. Wouldn't you know? The topic was "Unearthed Treasure." Well, after 40 years of metal detecting I could probably talk about my finds for hours hahah. As it turned out they took my call with about 10 minutes left in the show. I had to talk fast but I had enough time to talk about the joy that this hobby has given me and of course I did mention some of my favorite finds. Surprisingly, I was the only caller who spoke of metal detecting finds! Other callers spoke of records that they found at garage sales or in the trash or rare books that they found etc. Anyway, that reminded me that I was remiss in posting, here, my latest finds.
There was a house that I delivered Meals on Wheels to about 15 years ago. In my travels, I passed by it last week and found that the house had been removed. All that remained was sidewalk, foundation and a couple old trees. The first chance that I had, I went back there with my V3i and was rewarded with 6 silver coins, some wheat cents and of course a bit of clad and memorials. In the silver my favorite was the 1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter it has some stains on it that I'll try to remove. Here in Texas, Mexican coins are common finds, I think that it is cool though, to have dug 2 Mexican 20 Centavos coins - one a .720 silver 1937 and the other a 1943 copper. It was fun to get out swinging the coil again but I sure do miss my old hunting buddy Kenneth who passed away in February . Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
Thanks for sharing! You found six silver coins with your White's Spectra V3i. Your old hunting Buddy Kenneth Little would love to have heard your story about the V3i. You done very well! Many are not finding much silver now. You, and Kenneth must have had the patience to learn the V3i. The arduous learning curve caused many to abandon the V3i. What program were you using? You and Kenneth are inspirational! Six silver coins! Wow!
Addendum: You might hold the weekly record for finding silver this week? Amazing! Totally amazing! Were you in 'simultaneous' multifrequency? Thanks!

Last edited:
Howdy #1Leatherneck--
Thanks for your reply. Finding 6 silver coins in a hunt is not that big of a deal when hunting a virgin site. Although it is allways fun. Kenneth and I had a game that we played - a race to 10 silver coins. Sometimes it would take 3 or 4 hunts for one of us to hit the 10 mark, others in 1 hunt. It made a 1964 Roosevelt dime a significant find hahahah. If you want to see one of my best silver days, search Blind Squirrel and go back to August 11, 2014 "Mega Coin Spill" and "Back to the Mega Coin Spill" . That one site yeilded about 60 silver coins and about 300 Wheat Cents.
Leatherneck, the transission to the V3i was not too difficult for me as I had experience with White's detectors going back to the Eagle2, Eagle2 SL, XLT & DFX. The V3i offers a smorgessboard of features that CAN be utilized and my mindset was to address the features that affect PERFORMANCE! As I mentioned in a previous post concerning the V3i, the first thing that I did was to place the most frequently adjusted settings on my Live Search Screen - discrimination, sensitivety recovery delay, filters etc. I almost always use 3 frequency corrolate. And I prefer, in the pipoint mode, the 3 horizontal bars - that's the easiest method for me to interperate what the target is. It's too bad that former V3i users became intimidated and confused by the multitude of available adjustments and abandoned the detector. For me, the more choices , the better. I use, for homesites, the jewelery & beach mode to start and accept VDI's from +8-+93, Sensitivity 8, Recovery Delay 55, Filters 10. Since those adjustments are on my Live Search Screen they can be increased or decreased as needed in seconds. Too many former V3i users made the detector more complicated than it actually is. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel