Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

LAST NIGHT'S HUNT FOR ONE HOUR

Ken in Georgia

To all:

I have ground balance the G2 with the gain up to max 100 and then I read the manual again, and this time I followed the book and what do you know found a clad dime. Completely straight up in the ground! at 7 inches in the ground. Gain maxed out 100, GB 88.9, using the 5 inch coil. There something to be said for following the book. It did as Monte has told us, VDI was off by 2 numbers, it was 80. So, I keep learning.

Ken in Georgia said:
To all:

I have ground balance the G2 with the gain up to max 100 and then I read the manual again, and this time I followed the book and what do you know found a clad dime. Completely straight up in the ground! at 7 inches in the ground. Gain maxed out 100, GB 88.9, using the 5 inch coil.
Second, way to go on nabbing that 'on-edge' coin. If you ground calls for a GB setting of 88.9, that is some ugly environment. A lot of the sites I hunt in my area or where I prefer to travel to get old coins are in the '80s' with the G2.

Ken in Georgia said:
There something to be said for following the book. It did as Monte has told us, VDI was off by 2 numbers, it was 80. So, I keep learning.
Well, it wasn't MY book (I haven't finished it yet), but any well written book should convey useful information, which I try to do, such as the importance of learning each function .. AND .. learning each search coil. Ground conditions and coil changes and all sorts of things can alter a target's VDI reading so we have to learn our tools, our abilities, then apply a little bit of 'gut feeling' as we make our dig/no-dig decision.

You made a good one. Maybe one of these days it will be a better one and the metal will be silver rather than a clad design. Who knows. I wish you weren't way down in Georgia. A bit of a drive or flight to make it here for one of the all-day seminars in two weekends.

It's always fun to listen to others remarks about what they HAD experiences and WHY they felt their detector (and the manufacturer's hype) had let them down. But that is why I do the seminars in the first place, so that others might get to enjoy some of the success I have/do, and that really comes from learning the detectors and how to master their abilities (and weaknesses).

By the way, I got another clad dime in the spread-out dirt from the re-landscaping they are doing. Like the first it was in with the rough ground and dirt clods, smaller sized, and at roughly 2

I am sure if you posted your route, you would have lots of people wanting to meet you for some instruction. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Don

Thanks Monte, If we had some more time to plan, I would make both weekends with you on the west coast. :thumbup: For one with love to hunt with you and anytime you are here, we will go get some relics or coins, it is your choice. Feel free to come and stay at the house if needed. I would consider it an honor and privilege to have you as a guest and friend.