Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

LCD vs old manual knob controls

dalebert

Any comments regarding all the newer detectors with LCD and keypad controls as compared to the old fashioned manual controls with real knobs? Are the preset discrimination, gain, etc. settings adequate?

Well, I can only speak about the old radio shack model,
which I didn't have much luck with, vs the ace 250 which
I just bought recently. But yes, I like the newer technology
better myself. But, I admit the older detector was a very
cheap model, and not much more than a toy in my opinion.
Not the same as the current radio shack, which should be
better.
If there was one thing I like about the new one , it's not
having to adjust for ground balance. The big problem with
the old one, was it would sound off on just changes in
ground conditions. So you never knew if you had a real hit,
or just a change in ground, until you dug. With the new,
it's all automatic. And I like it...:) Of course, I realize
many might want manual adjustments for cetain things.
With the ace 250, I can adjust sensitivity, and also change
the notches for the discrimination. It's got all I really need.
All I have to do it turn it on, and set the sensitivity to
what I want for the area, and start searching. I already
have the various all-metal, nickles, tabs, coins, etc ID modes,
so I really don't have to change anything unless I want to
match up for a certain item. IE: I can put it in "custom"
mode, and match it up to a certain item, like an earring, and
then be able to search for the "other" earring with all other
metals notched.
But different machines are better for different objects..
It's probably more up to the skills of the user, than the
machine itself..:) I like the ace 250 cuz it's so easy it's
nearly foolproof. Good for a starter unit. I've only had mine
a couple of weeks. I've already dug quite a few coins.
Well, at least for a beginner...Some of these guys smoke me.. :(
MK

Yes the Garrett is automatic but only from the point of view that its ground balance is fixed so if your in an area where the ground varies a great deal then your always at a disadvantage.
Re the original question its a case of how longs a bit of string. Some machines with knobs offer fractions of adjustment but so do some digital/LCD type ones. Full adjustment can be had with either type if you just select the right model of machine. And you can never have enough range of adjustment.

I prefer an LCD display with ANALOG knobs for sensitivity, discrimination and ground balancing with a switch or two for pinpoint mode etc.

Digital adjustments using buttons on the LCD's are not user friendly and take longer to adjust then just turning a knob.

Of course the only manufacturer so far listening is limited you have the MXT, M6, then Terosoro Cortes.

dfwdetector

The Fisher CZ3D DOES NOT have a Digital Display from what I can see its just a bar which lights up over a symbol. To clarify DIGITAL DISPLAY it is one which shows a TARGET ID NUMBER not just a black square. All machines I mentioned have TARGET ID NUMBERS which are shown on the display.

No, the 3D doesn't have any kind of digital display at all. Not even a bar. It's a completely analog meter with analog knobs machine. Perhaps you are thinking of the discontinued CZ70 Pro with the bar lighting up under the target symbol. I agree with you on the knobs vs push-pads, and prefer them too.

I misread your post and was thinking only about analog knobs instead of push pads without thinking about the type of meter. As far a numeric digital ID, and analog knobs, I believe you are right with the models you mentioned. I can't think of any others off-hand.

Good hunting,
OldeTymer

The VDI display feature is certainly a plus, but the push-button increments seem to be in large in some detectors. Some hop in units of three, for example. -9,-6,-3,0,3,6, etc. A twist potentiometer gives you infinate stops along it's travel. So, conceivably you have the ability to achieve a "perfect" ground balance or sensitivity setting. So, if the optimum setting is 4.82 say, the best you can achieve is a "6" with the push-button trim.

The digitals are much more "repeatable" and much easier to set. Also, you can set discrimination "masks" with gaps which allow you to be more selecive.

The knobs cannot be pre-set in a memory and the discrimination range cannot have exceptions.

Thank folks, I bought the ACE250. It's OK, but I see guys around here using analog units for the gold in our area (near Placerville), so I wasn't sure.
I haven't found gold, just a lot old hardware and some coins (and a lot of greenstone for some reason). The nuggets I've panned are pretty small (actually more like 'pickers')and are probably too small for my detector. There's evidence of panning in my backyard from years ago. I was hoping I'd find something.
I think I need a tiny handheld detector with a small search coil to check the small crevices along the creek (maybe a 3" diameter coil). My back is tired from bending over to dig then standing to search again.

Hi I was wondering if you were talking about Placerville Idaho? If so Do you mind me picking your brain about where at Placerville you are? My old boss bought land up there and has given me permission to detect his property. Thanks in advance T.C. Boise

... plus one button. Press the button to cycle through to the setting you wish to change, then turn the knob to change the setting.

It also has a trigger-style pinpoint/ground-balance switch and another knob for on-off/volume.

EC

California, East of Sacramento. Its near the gold discovery site that started the 49er rush (Sutter's Mill on the American River).
I found this link on the web if you're interested:
http://americanhistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa090901a.htm

There's big piles of river rock all around here in Folsom (where I work) from the big dredgers that worked this area years ago.