Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend - first impressions

casull454

Received my Legend Friday of last week. I've only had it out once for about 2 1/2 hours and found $3.00 in clad and an aluminum caribiner (sp). First impressions: 1. This thing is built like a tank. 2. I've not experienced any "chattiness". Sensitivity ran at 28 and no chattering. Even hunted directly under power lines and it completely behaved itself. 3. Deepest coin was about 4 inches, but the park I am hunting is rather new, and other than a small silver ring, I've not found any silver after a dozen or so hunts with my X-Terra 70. 4. A 4 inch deep coin sounds just as loud as a surface coin. 5. I think this is the beginning of a great friendship. 6. I need to find better hunting grounds.

Last edited:
For an alternate perspective, today was also my very first day out with the legend. Spent about an hour at a fairly hunted out park with no power (so I would assume not much EMI). Used the 11 inch coil, haven't tried the small one yet. My machine was very chatty in every every mode and every frequency even down to sens 20. I didn't shift the frequencies nor mess with the recovery, so that might have helped a bit. The chattiness was constant, but fairly low volume so I could still hear the real targets ring through, but it's definitely annoying. I had also tried turning it on outside my house, but that was a complete mess (there is a ton of EMI there).

I don't know the VDIs very well so I dug about 20 pull tabs and bottle caps, 5 pieces of can slaw that were super solid 14 or 15, and only one coin (a penny) and I never saw a single VDI over 44, but again this is a fairly well hunted park that gets few visitors in recent times.

I'm a little disappointed, not sure how I will ever hunt for deep targets if I have to ignore the constant low volume chirps. Not sure if if it's a coil issue or the machine or just my expectations being high (my old machine is a V3i). Hopefully the 6" is a fair bit more stable.

I will also note I didn't do the 1.05 update, but I hadn't heard this update did anything regarding stability.

havent had any issues with mine, however i havent been out with mine much due to adverse weather and so far im very happy with the legend. It pounded a piece that holds an erasure at the top of a pencil as deep as would bury my pinpointer standing straight up, and hit a nickel standing up pretty hard. Im not going to install the update

For an alternate perspective, today was also my very first day out with the legend. Spent about an hour at a fairly hunted out park with no power (so I would assume not much EMI). Used the 11 inch coil, haven't tried the small one yet. My machine was very chatty in every every mode and every frequency even down to sens 20. I didn't shift the frequencies nor mess with the recovery, so that might have helped a bit. The chattiness was constant, but fairly low volume so I could still hear the real targets ring through, but it's definitely annoying. I had also tried turning it on outside my house, but that was a complete mess (there is a ton of EMI there).

I don't know the VDIs very well so I dug about 20 pull tabs and bottle caps, 5 pieces of can slaw that were super solid 14 or 15, and only one coin (a penny) and I never saw a single VDI over 44, but again this is a fairly well hunted park that gets few visitors in recent times.

I'm a little disappointed, not sure how I will ever hunt for deep targets if I have to ignore the constant low volume chirps. Not sure if if it's a coil issue or the machine or just my expectations being high (my old machine is a V3i). Hopefully the 6" is a fair bit more stable.

I will also note I didn't do the 1.05 update, but I hadn't heard this update did anything regarding stability.

Hi there...please noise cancel (auto freq shift) or do it manually...if there is EMI, you need to do this. Also, please do update the machine.

Figured I would provide an update after round 2. Same park, updated firmware, 2 hour hunt.

First hour with the 9 inch coil and it was absolutely rock solid stable at 30 gain. After an hour I paused to use the restroom/check phone, came back and it was a bit less stable. Tried ground balancing and noise cancel several times, eventually backed off to 25 and it was quite stable at that point. After another 30 minutes I switched to the small coil which I expected to be super stable but was actually about the same as the 9 inch, I had to keep it at 25 as well to keep the random chirps quiet.

All in all a much better showing. Wish I knew why it changed half way through the hunt, perhaps it was the sun coming out and/or the temperature changing.

Found about 10 pennies, 1 dime, 1 kennedy half, and 30-40 soda bottle screw caps (was hunting mid 30s looking for a ring).

Solar flare maybe? We just had one the other day. Maybe it is causing a little interference at times