Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lets Talk Double D's...

seahunter34

Double D coils. I grasp the DD concept where there is more of a narrow windshield wiper blade field running down the center. But that is not entirely so, because my DD Coil still sees targets to a degree everywhere under the coil and not just along the center strip. There are several styles of DD coils. Some are round or rounder, while others more elliptical. Here's what I want to know. Given 2 DD coils of the same length- say 12 inches down the center strip, but one is round and the other elliptical (narrower), what are the in field performance differences?

Would they both go the same depth? Would the round coil cover more ground? That would mean the round would be more prone to target masking and ground minerals? I ask because NEL makes 2 Explorer coils. One is 12.5X8.5 and the other a rounder 12X13. What would be the difference in the field?

Interesting questions .... something you may have to ask Tom Dankowski. I agree you do deal with HALO and get a response NEAR and AWAY from the receive coil. You really notice it in Ferr.... listen to the tones as you get close to a target and watch the digital screen. They change more drastically as items are averaged for TID and tone. Ive used my concentric coil by slightly turning it on edge which can give you a little separation. So to me the narrower the field the better the separation and like you said more target masking just by the amount of soil being processed. As the amount of soil is increased id be surprised if you dont loose some depth on a wider coil.

Dew

I read a post a while back, by someone that works for Whites,,,,,
He said that a 6" x 10" dd was equal to a 6" coil in depth and that a 10" round dd coil would be deeper....

Bj

Dew,
I have read in some metal detecting books , they talk about Halo's,, and made some posts about Halo's.
Dave J. and Tom D. and some others said there was no such thing as a Halo...
You might do a search on Tom's forum.
Bj

That's the way it was explained to me when I was talking to a Whites engineer. I don't have a picture right now but the field is actually more like looking a a ship hull from the front or rear.

I find the DD Minelab Pro coil to have a detection area like this....

I don't know about the oblong type DD's like the SEFs, (though that design makes sense), but the pointy DDs like the joey coil or the platypus, I think that shape is restrictive and does affect performance. I prefer round DDs.