Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Live .50 round found!

Mark kus

This round was found in a local brook in a town over from me by my friend how in the world did it get there is the question lol?!!!
1BDAA0E9-317A-4EFC-ACE3-E522A2E1871E.jpeg
B4F87116-837E-428F-9ECD-D3EDBD035E36.jpeg
A60E1BBF-BEE4-4E54-922A-D54477069692.jpeg

Is that a machine gun bullet or an airplane bullet? Whatever it is I wouldn't want that bullet hitting me, that thing is massive.
If it has any stamping on it you may be able to research it & know more about it.
Very interesting find.

Wonder if thats old enough to have the mercury primer?? Any National Guard or military based nearby?? Best I ever found was a live .22......

Yeah my friend did not want it so he gave it to me it’s in my display case yes aircrafts B-17’s tail gun ball turret waist gunners p-51 mustangs machine gun they all fired this rd

Local beach after a re-nourishment was littered with them. Pumped them onto the beach from offshore when they were replacing the sand that had washed away. The ones I found were all AP.

And the point I was trying to make earlier was..... if it has the mercuric compound in the primer they can become quite unstable after time. Be aware....

Very neat find Mark. I totally agree with Ronstar. Be very careful with this enormous projectile.

The round is the standard M2 Ball ammunition. Still in use today. it is Non-mercuric primed, and the bullet is a standard lead core, with a copper jacket. If it was found in the water, then the chances of it going off, if the primer was struck is about .00001% Nice find

The round is the standard M2 Ball ammunition. Still in use today. it is Non-mercuric primed, and the bullet is a standard lead core, with a copper jacket. If it was found in the water, then the chances of it going off, if the primer was struck is about .00001% If it has a Black Tip, then it's AP. Nice find

Be careful. If that goes off it'll blow a large hole in whatever is around. Folks have lost important body parts digging things like that up.

That round is not nearly as dangerous as people seem to believe. Without a Barrell to contain the expanding gas from the powder and push the bulled down the barrel. The most that will happen is that the brass case will get pushed a few feet at most. The bullet will not move due to the weight. You stand a much higher chance of getting burned by the hot gas than anything else.

That round is not nearly as dangerous as people seem to believe. Without a Barrell to contain the expanding gas from the powder and push the bulled down the barrel. The most that will happen is that the brass case will get pushed a few feet at most. The bullet will not move due to the weight. You stand a much higher chance of getting burned by the hot gas than anything else.
GeorgienSC is 100% correct about the 50 BMG cartridge.