Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Long lost ring returned!

jcweber77

Haven't been able to really get out in a while...but made it out this weekend to search the campus where i work. Yeah, it was technically part of the job, but sure was nice to get out and dig. Was searching for relics from a plantation that used to occupy the land. It was a civil war site prior to that. Not much in terms of old items, however, i did come across this class ring that was lost in 1982. Long story short, found the ring, sent picture to my wife, she located the originally owner before i finished for the day! He was absolutely ecstatic to be getting it back! Full story is on our university page if you're interested: Link to story

Sure is good to see those big chunks of gold come out of the ground!!

Hey that's great! Bet he was excited. That's awesome you get to detect at work. Are they wanting to just make a display of objects or are they looking to excavate the site? I'm really surprised the Archie's of the university are allowing a detector to be used, unless of course you are one of the minority of them that recognize the usefulness of detecting in archeology. Either way, congrats!

We're just adding any items to the current museum on campus -- The Epps House. I don't know if you have seen the Movie "Twelve Years a Slave", but the house built for Edwin Epps by Soloman Northup is actually now located here on campus. It's been renovated to a museum for items from that era. Epps -- the slave owner of Northup was an overseer at the Oakland Plantation -- where our campus now sits. Very rich history in all of the surrounding areas. I'm a part of the administration here....so my historical interest have definitely helped others understand the usefulness of detecting! It also helps that if you didn't know i was digging...you would never find evidence of any holes being dug all over the quad! That's where some people in our hobby give us a bad name....leaving holes everywhere they go!

Anyway... If you google "Twelve Years a Slave" or "Epps House" there is plenty of information about the area. Here's a quick link to the museum on campus: Epps House Museum

Good Work!!! :thumbup: