Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for a few tips on sov responses and a few remarks about my new gt sov

A

Anonymous

Since I am new with the sov I see it gives some signal sounds that are very different then any other detector I used. ( I suspect my new gt sov is like most other sovs in a lot of respects)
There is a very big difference in signal sound from a item real close or on the suface with the coil very close to it then with the coil raised just a little to get away from the being real close to it.
So far for me the nickel and pull tab tones are different then the coin tones , but the coin tones most all sound the same except the nickel. I guess that is normal. So far also the range of tones for most stuff I scan over seems not to large. I expected to have a zilophone affect but it does not happen , ( I'm glad ).
A big probably alumiminun bottle cap sound like coins but still trying to find a way to recognize them by size etc. Is this big sounding target that seems to get a lot smaller sounding when just raised away from it the usual thing to expect. also the tones tougher to recognise when real close as I mention. A little easier when farther away.
Any ideas? ( About helping to tell size differences or something to listen for , swing, or height of coil or settings)
The gt sov can pick out some real small stuff with that 10 inch coil. With the unit set at the very lowest sensitivity setting I have found a few coins at around 5 inches also found a nickel with the lower conductivity pull tabs notched out. I have two types of pull tabs one has a higher conductivity then the other. When I notch out the higher pulltab I can detect the lower one along with nickels. When I notch out the lower one I can still detect the higher one and get nickels as mentioned.No questions on the notch , it is sensitive on needing small tweak adjustments for different stuff.
That auto gb in all metal sure tells you when the ground is mineralized. I can raise and bob the coil and get a reduced threshold response to almost nothing after bobbing a few times. then I set it to fix and lock it. It definitely gets more depth then the discriminate mode. I did on a buried coin I buried and tried in the place I was testing the auto ground balance.
HH
Dan R.

You are doing it the right way.......experimenting with your controls and the height of the coil.
Those aluminum screwcaps sound a great deal like zinc pennies, but tend to sound a bit more harsh. If you were using a meter, you would see only one digit difference in reading.
In time you will be able to tell the difference in tone between zinc/bronze/screwcap and silver/clad/copper.
Play with your sweep speed to stretch out the sound pattern. If you sweep too fast it will all run together. If you sweep too slow, it will drag out too much and again lack meaning.
Think if it like playing a record either too fast or slow. Lacks intelligible value.
Find the right speed that will produce "words" and "syllables" that can imprint in your brain.
You have already determined that shallow targets sound like crap unless you raise the coil a little. If you raise the coil a lot and they still sound wide and crappy, then you are on a large piece of junk most of the time. One exception would be a drop (several coins in a cluster).
You will develop a sense of width and depth with time.
You are on the right track.
HH

It just looks like I need to like you say fiddle with the sweep speed some more as I did notice also that there are some differences in sounds.
I will pay more attention to that and try to get a better sweep that will give me more consistency to determine the differences in tones on targets.
I know my detector does produce various tones but have not found enough different types of objects to produce all the various tones. I have chosen a bunch of gold rings and some various sizes of foil and even some foil that does not register on the sov but registers on other detectors as foil. some chewing gum type of wrappers. there are enough differences in some of the stuff to notice without trouble but I also have hit on some things that sound similar but just kind of closing my eyes and really listening could tell the slight difference. I guess just plain more use is going to help me out.
Thanks again
HH
Dan R.

No problem.....
You will find that a lot of the trash just plain sounds bad compared to coins and rings.
The tricky stuff is the more compact and solid shaped trash which tends to sound good.
That's where a meter helps.
Keep at it and listen close.
HH

Hi Dan,
My recommendation to you is to dig everything for a while. When you get a signal pay very close attention to the sounds. Then dig it and try to remember the sound.
After you've dug many types of objects, start guessing what the target is based on the sound. Dig it and see if you were right. Practice, practice, practice.
Over time you will notice very subtle differences in signal tones that you didn't notice before. Eventually you will have, in effect, learned the language of the Sov and it will "talk" to you.
I've noticed that pulltabs, while they sound something like a gold ring, have a more brash sound than gold rings. Pulltabs tend to have a high peak in the audio signal while gold rings are much smoother sounding.
Steel bottle caps are really easy for me to avoid especially with the DTI II meter. On bottle caps the meter will go high positive then high negative on the with no lock in either positive or negative. The audio will give a partially good signal then null out. They also cause the audio on my machine to go completely silent when perfectly pinpointed and then there's a pop with a brief sound which sounds like radio static. I just move on.
I can completely eliminate clad pennies because the meter always shows them at 176. I dug hundreds of targets at 176 and they were always clad pennies. Now I just skip them.
I dig pulltabs and aluminum bottle caps even if I'm pretty sure they are junk.
I found the pendant in the photo in high dry sand on an ocean beach. It sounded like an aluminum bottle cap and had a kind of broken junky signal. I was sure it was aluminum junk but dug it anyway because I just had a feeling. I'm glad I did. 14K.
Practice, dig everything and become one with the Sovereign young Jedi.

This is where some of the older wheaties will read plus the IH pennys will too. I found that if they are loud surface targets then chances are they are the new zinks, but they can be other things too. Now those that are deeper and weaker sounding I will always dig.
Rick

I believe what you and some others are saying about practice and dig every thing. I am finding out more quickly then I thought it is starting to pay off. I am slowly and gradually getting more and more comfortable with the sounds and I am starting to hear the difference better and better . Today I was really hitting on all cylinders , dug up pull tabs different types and before digging called what they were. Got quite a few correct. Got a nickel correct , got another piece of metal correct in that I said its not any coin or pulltab . It was a piece of copper or some type of alloy maybe brass about 1/2 inch thick and about 3/4 inch wide and about 1 inch long. but it hit real hard compared to the other stuff I have been finding. High tone coin range.
HH
Dan R.

hey Dan, I dont have the gt model yet but I use the elite and excalibur. I love the elite because of the iron mask. It is very accurate, for the first 4 months I used to dig up everything even iron but my elite was always on target when it came to iron. I dont dig up iron anymore. you need to play with your sov. and get used to the sounds. especially if you use it at the beach because a bottle cap sounds different in 10 inches of wet sand than it does at a park. the sov. will go deep especially in wet sand. listen to the weak signals and dig about 3-4 inches and then go over it again to see what the scale and sound tell you. it should be more accurate. that is how i find my silver and gold rings that most detectors miss. I had a dfx but I noticed that the sov. elite went deeper and the iron mask was a life saver. I also changed my scale to the 180 and its very accurate. see the website so you can modify it, its not that hard to do just take your time on it. If I were you I would start out at the beach in dry sand so you can get used to the different sounds of bottle caps, pull tabs, coins and take a few rings so you can see what they sound like and what reading you get, both silver and gold. good luck and post your finds you wont regret it..

I am collecting posts about the sov detectors and saving them .
Thanks for the tips.
HH
Dan R.