Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for some Civil War hunters in N.W. PA

Chuckieo

I'm looking for some men and gals that are Civil War buffs aroung Mercer, Venango and Crawford Counties. I live in Mercer co. and as you all probably know the underground railroad was a big thing in this area. I am particularly interested in a patch of woods close by me called Lynch woods. Escaped slaves would sometimes get caught and taken to Lynch Woods to be executed by hanging.

I am going to do research at the University of Pgh Library (Hillman) and see what I can find on microfilm about Lynch woods. It shouldn't be any problem for me to use Hillman Library, I am a graduate from the University of Pittsburgh. It seems to me that there may possibly be a big old tree that was a favorite for putting the noose on escaped slaves. I am going into the area this week and take a look around. I have a GPS and will mark certain areas.I will definately take my detector too. I am thinking(and wishing) that there is a good possibility that some things may have been left behind by individuals when these unfortunate men and women lost their lives.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated and maybe we can organize a hunt together.

I have a friend up your way. I'll forward this to him and se iffin he's interested in contactin ya.

There you go ! Just get the word out . . . :buds: cch.

Hi i'm not too far from there and i'm able to go anytime, i also have a friend who's loves detecting he might be able to go.Let me know if your interested,thanks.

Hey chuck i am in pittsburgh not far from you at all and i have some civil war sites,batteries,etc and also some sites from the underground railroad. Send me a PM and we can talk about sites cause you really dont want to give those spots up for when you go there next time it will look like someone released a whole family of angry groundhogs if you know what i mean.

Interesting. I will have to see if there is anything like that in Michigan since we had quite a bit of Underground Railroad activity in my area as well. Quite a few stations. Sorry my aunt and uncle no longer live in Pittsburgh, I would come stay with them for a week or weekend and drive up to tag along. Have a good time.