Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking to get a Quattro

Hi new to this forum and have been thinking of buying a Quattro for my next detector. I have a DFX now, but trying to decide wheather to buy a Quattro or a Explorer.

Thomas

If you are a hardcore "tweaker" and like the versatility and adjustability of the DFX, then I would say the Explorer II would be the good choice. If you are intimidated by the complexity of the DFX and want a capable machine that's a little easier to operate and dosen't require (or allow) a whole lot of tweaking, then the Quattro may be your cup of tea.

I had a DFX a few years ago and liked it ok, did well with it for about 6 months, and sold it in favor of a CZ-70. I found the CZ-70 to be a superior machine in depth and simplicity. I later began to experiment with Minelab and got an Elite and loved it. It did well for me on land and replaced my CZ at the beach, though I kept the CZ for land use. I got rid of the Elite and got an Excalibur, wanting to have a waterproof Sovereign. That has been a good decision and the Excal is my primary beach machine. During that same time, I got a Quattro and found it to be very capable on land and a demon on the beach, digging some of the deepest coins and jewelry ever with it at the beach. I hunted with it at the beach numerous times and on land at all my old hunt spots and did very well with it, finding coins, rings, bullets, buttons...quite a machine. I then replaced the Quattro with the Explorer II, after reading up on it quite a bit and wanting the "challenge" of a "tweaker" again. I got out with it a number of times and did very well with it on land and also at the beach a few times and then the summer hunting season got in full swing and I switched over to strictly beach and strictly Excal. But I'm ready to start using the Explorer II again as I transition back to land hunting for fall and winter. Looking forward to it a lot. I did not find it hard to learn, as there are many great resources online for it as well as two good forums here. I am happier with it than the Quattro for a couple reasons. I like the dual-digital mode. I like the tones. I like the Smartfind screen. Both the Quattro and the Explorer II have great depth. Not sure what to say, other than that. I liked them both. Depends what you like and how you hunt.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum too.

Mike, you said that you had a quattro and that you also continue to own an excalibur, of the two which do you think has greater depth.

I'm looking to purchase another detector, I currently own an Ace 250 and a White's Surfmaster. I am dissatisfied with the depth of both, either one can only penetrate about 8 to 10 inches down, and gold is even worse.

Two questions:

1. What is the deepest coin or ring you dug using the quattro and excalibur and,

2. If you could have just one, which would it be?

I'm in Georgia, so I'll be going to the beach some, relic hunting, and coin shooting at old homes as well.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone else who has had both detectors, please chime-in too.

Mark Conner

Well, given your criteria, it would seem a no-brainer to me. The Excalibur is a water machine. Yes, you COULD land hunt with it and many have. But that isn't it's cup of tea. It's a killer beach machine though and I have probably found 50 rings this summer and a 18K 26" chain with heavy anchor & eagle charm that's worth close to $1000. Not to mention a couple of hundred dollars in clad. That said, the Quattro definitely has the depth over the Excal at the beach. I would say it has as much as an extra 3 to 6 inches. I've dug rings and small coins at a foot or more with the Excal. With the Quattro I have dug many targets at 18" plus. I've got a good signal off of a quarter once with the Quattro that two CZ-7a Pro's got NOTHING off of, at max sensitivity. My buddy pulled a dime while using my Quattro that my Excal got NOTHING off of, not even a null. And it was cranked up too. BUT, the Excal is waterproof and the Quattro isn't. So when I work the water's edge at low tide and work the surf, there's a danger of splash and dropping. And more than once I've been hit by a rouge wave. The thought of trashing an expensive machine was too great. And if it rains, I hunt on. And the Excal is plenty sensitive and goes deep enough for me for the beach. I've done VERY well with mine.

Now, for you, since you are going to be doing SOME beach and also doing relic and silver coin shooting, I think the Quattro is the clear choice. As long as you won't be doing too much IN or real close to the water. The Quattro is killer on Civil War bullets. I've done lots of hunting in the woods with it and it punches down deep and locks on good. Minnie balls, musket balls, buttons, silver coins...very good. And wheras the Excal will give you tones only, you CAN tell a quarter from a dime from a penny when you get to know the tones. I can. Not everybody can though. But with the Quattro, if it's a 38 IT'S A QUARTER. If it's a 37 it's probably a dime. If it's a 30, it's a musketball and maybe a 32 a minnieball. So with the target ID AND the tones, you get much better ID. If you are very good with the Excal tone system (or if you just want to dig everything) then you COULD hunt effectively with it on land. But if you want superior target ID on land, killer depth on the beach, and a machine that's a little better balanced and built, then I think the Quattro is the best choice for you.

Personally, I like having a dedicated beach machine and a dedicated land machine. And a backup that will do both well. That's why I have an Explorer II for the land, the Excal for the beach, and a Fisher CZ-70 for an anytime backup or switch-hit machine. In answer to your question as to if I had to choose JUST ONE between the Excal and the Quttro to be my ONLY machine, Quattro.

That was a very informative post Mike. I like that, and it seems to make a whole lot of sense. Even though I only own the Quatro, I've been around this stuff enought that what you just said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

Sorry about putting the other response out of order, I ment it to be a response to Mike's post on Looking to get a quatro. As far as my experience with the Quatro, I'm very satisfied with it. I couldn't agree more with Mike even though I havn't used the CZ-70 or Explorer II, I've studied the Explorer a lot and it all makes sense what he says. I'd say, absolutely get Andy's book and study it well. I love the Quatro especially for not having hardly any falsing problems with black sand and salt water and the fact it has great depth, but don't drop it in the water or get the housing splashed too hard. I heard Minelab won't cover that under warranty. I don't use the High setting too much even though Andy says the recovery time is quicker. I just hunt slower and listen very closely to the tones. I'm not as good as Mike yet with the tones, but they tell you a lot especially if you cross save it to ferrous mode. If your worried about too much trash, I'd get a 5" coil for that. I have one and it works great to separate the trash, only thing I don't like is it covers so little swinging area, but it does separate the trash better and seems to go reasonably deep, how deep compared to the 10.5" coil, I don't know. You'd have to run some tests on that. All in all I think it's a great detector since I couldn't afford the Explorer II which has to numeric readouts and gives you more information on whether to dig or not. I know the Explorer has other stuff too, but that was my alure to wanting it was the 2 different readouts for conductivity and ferrous. Well I don't think you'll be sorry with the Quatro. Let us know how it works for you.:):)

Man, I'm really getting screwed up here.:) I ment for both these posts to go with the Quatro on the way post, (I think). Wow, guess I need to go back to bed or go on a vacation. If I do that I hope I can go to a place with a good beach for metal detecting.:D

Ah, relax...I think we all "get it". I always read all the messages in a thread anyway.

It's kind of like your dinner. It's all going to the same place after you shovel it into your mouth, even though sometimes when it comes back up it doesn't always look nice and orderly when it's all together in a pile on the floor. :rofl:

Bless your guys hearts. You must know I've been scattered and shattered for the last three days at least. I've been freeking out on whether to take a new job with a friend of mine doing construction or not. Finally decided I didn't want to get up at 6am every morning and maybe couldn't even make enought money doing it. I work the swing shift 3 to 11pm and I've grown to like it cause I can do stuff during the day, you know, real important, high priority stuff:(like metal detecting):lol::):b:D:hot: Yea, I know, I need to get my priorities straight as well as my posts. Still working on a waterproff idea for the Quatro, but not sure yet if I can pull it off. I probably shouldn't have said that, but I've been thinking about it. The other problem with that is, it could void the warranty, I need to be careful. Which is worse: Getting caught in Nevada detecting a gold mine site or voiding the warranty on your minelab detector? Just playin with ya fellas, but I wouldn't want either one to happen so I better be a good boy and watch my p's and q's.:D