Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Louisiana civil war relic finds.ID help needed!!

LaRelic

A few finds from the past month or so. Could use some help with items to the right. Not sure what they are. The small lead object says Chicago on it. It has more writing on the front and back but i cant make it out. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Nice assortment of finds ! Wish I could help you with the item on the right ?? :shrug:

Speedbug, I have hunted in Louisiana for close to 30 years now...your brass ring thingy is a reins guide commonly found on the harness for a horse drawn wagon. It was located on the side of the harness to keep the reins in position to keep them from being tangled in the other harness fixtures...it certainly looks to be CW period. I found a site one time near Port Hudson where the Yankees burned some CS wagons and found several reins guides much like yours.

The other thing is likely some sort of seal. That type of seal was commonly used to prevent tampering with something that was locked, like a document case or strongbox. Its hard to tell from the picture, but if it appears that there were two steel or brass wires attached to the item, it is very likely a seal. I found three at a site near Lafayette (one marked Chicago, two marked SNY) where one Yankee cavalry trooper noted that they had been paid at that location. Check the Official Records to see if Illinois troops were in the area where it was found.

Nice finds!

Best regards,

Gene

Thanks for the info csbutton! The reins guide was found in the area of a confederate camp. I believe your right about the seal. It has a groove all the way around the edge that u can't see from the picture, I think this is where the wire would have been.